Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Top pair + horrible position = :(

Good 5/10 full game playing 8-handed. MP open limps (seemed tight-passive), CO and button (both loose-bad) limp, I complete A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB, BB checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check (intending to c/r the CO or button), BB checks, MP bets, CO calls, BB calls....(oops)

Plans for the rest of the hand?

Anyone fold? Certainly no sense in raising now. Call and reevaluate on the turn?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Top pair + horrible position = :(

i think it's still a raise or fold situation. with the flush and straight draws out there, i think it's a raise...
Old 06-16-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's still a raise or fold situation. with the flush and straight draws out there, i think it's a raise...

[/ QUOTE ]
With two cards to come on this coordianted board I am only slightly ahead (assuming I am ahead at all). I think raising is the least hot idea [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2006, 03:03 PM

I think I fold. But then again, I'm weak-tight.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Certainly no sense in raising now. Call and reevaluate on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely, calling will be the save way. If a blank hits, in a usual game i'd raise or even three-bet the turn to make draws pay. Although with bad-loose and passive players you might simply want to check-call down to the end if not raised and no flush card hits, since they probably tend to stay in on close odds.

I'd definitely fold to a raise from MP on the turn, since a tight-passive player raising usualy means a decent hand, at least top pair with good kicker. If a flush card hits, fold to any call, even against loose-bad, since you have so many ways of losing. Don't raise MP if all others are out to see if he was on draw - he very probably wasn't, since almost any tight-passive player I know would check a draw on the flop.

If you hit a straight draw and no flush card hits, be more aggressive, as MP is not on a draw and you have two legitimate ways of winning.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:19 PM

just fold. somewhere between splitting the pot the majority of the times you win anything, getting outkicked from the beginning, and losing to a draw that gets there, you'll find yourself dumping a lot of money in a hand like this.

one more thing. i don't like your flop plan. if they're loose and bad, and limped in from late position, what makes you think that any of the late position players are going to do the betting for you so that you can c/r? you've given no indication that they are particularly prone to be aggressive post flop or stated that from previous hands that they like to position bet.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:22 PM

did you consider raising pf? just curious. you said the flop bettor seemed tight passive? that scares me. i could fold right now...or i could call and donk/fold a safe-ish turn card. but what i would have done in the first place, before we got in this spot, would have been bet the flop.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but what i would have done in the first place, before we got in this spot, would have been bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is much better than c/ring the flop
Old 06-16-2006, 05:21 PM

I fold this. There are too many ways for you to either be behind, or to be caught if you are indeed ahead. The pot is small, and your position sucks.

I believe you have terrible reverse implied odds here, no?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:26 PM

It's a good time to fold in my opinion. Small pot, you are getting poor reverse implied odds when you are dominated. One of the reasons to check these hands is to check/raise, another reason is to fold after seeing the action.