Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Super Tues AK v. Premier

8adam8,
Whether you are right or wrong your doing a pretty awful job arguing your point. Most of your argument is just attacking DCJ even though he is obv a very good tournament player and is making much better arguments than you are.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8adam8,
Whether you are right or wrong your doing a pretty awful job arguing your point. Most of your argument is just attacking DCJ even though he is obv a very good tournament player and is making much better arguments than you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

His main argument has been to shove AK to pick up the blinds rather than to take the line that maximizes value w/ AK.

He has also argued to shove AK because he shoves TT+ with these stacks. This logic is bad because shoving QQ+ is usually sacrificing a ton of EV UTG w/ these stacks.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I shove but raising to 3k is terrible. Once you get to the flop you need to bet call because premier has such a huge range for calling out of the blinds. He;s getting like 4:1 to call because your raise is so small he's probably calling like 30-40%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with all of this

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 06:22 PM

check behind on flop., B/f and B/c seem gross with your stack.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:28 PM

this hand is obviously above my pay grade, but may i present a contrary pov.

our stack is short, yet still we have re stealing in our holster. 5 of the 6 remaining stacks can be severely damaged by us. that being said:

raising to 3k is problematic as described by the hand itself. you are giving the bb 3-1 to call, and you will whiff the flop 67% of the time and be in a real pickle. if you fold after raising, 2 hands from now your ability to re steal will be marginal, at best.

shoving is clearly ok. since most of the stacks are similar calling ranges of AK's shove should be something like TT+, AK+, AQs+. that's like 4% of hands , so 76% of the time we pick up 2640 uncontested, which is nice.....but is it optimal ??? with M<7 shouldn't we be looking to play a big pot pre flop w/ AK ???

doubling up to 42k gives us the added ability to steal with impunity. what about limping utg ???

if we limp, 2 things can happen. we may get other callers
or we may get raised. if we get a bunch of callers and a multiway pot, we can evaluate the flop and not feel the need to continue if we don't like it. we have saved 10% of our stack this way.

if we get raised or shoved (how many times have you seen a limper get re raised with these stack sizes) we instacall/shove and are happy as a pig in poop
to play for all our chips w/AK.

i know limping is for pansies, but in this case, does it give us the best chance to get what we want ???
Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's much more likely that AQ/AJ will shove over my pf raise than to cold call, and that they will likely fold to a shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you know what you have to do. I probably full 3X utg though, not sure if thats optimal on this stack.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a lot of you guys have such a hardon to make sure you don't shove PF with 15x stacks that you end up setting yourself up for stupid postflop spots like this

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
8adam8,

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-21-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's much more likely that AQ/AJ will shove over my pf raise than to cold call, and that they will likely fold to a shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you know what you have to do. I probably full 3X utg though, not sure if thats optimal on this stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. although stacks sizes are a bit awkward i'd rather make it 3.6k-3.8k pre rather than shoving.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:38 AM

Preflop is so fine and standard.