Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Speech play

I play live a lot, and was wondering how to interpret a lot of the common forms of speech play that occur. In particular, these statements:

1) "Do you want me to call?"
2) "Will you show me if I fold?"
3) "Let's gamble"
4) "You don't have to call"

For the most part I think people are looking at the way in which people respond to these questions (rather than whether they say yes or no). Any ideas welcomed about what these common statements mean.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Speech play

1) "Do you want me to call?":
Are you bluffing?

2) "Will you show me if I fold?":
Are you bluffing?

3) "Let's gamble""
I think you are weak or bluffing.

4) "You don't have to call":
I might be bluffing.

Some of these are also stalling techniques, either giving you more time to judge and think or to make your opponent overthink and make a mistake.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 AM

A lot of times the person asking the question doesn't care at all about the content of your answer, but rather how you answer. I never reply to these questions live, though sometimes I do ask them when I too want to see how a player will respond.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM

I have a standard reply of "your decision" to any question. Obviously, you don't have to respond at all but in small games this seems a little stupid - you are there to have a socialable time as well so I think a standard response is better and cannot give away info.

I also think a lot of players see the pro's on TV ask these questions but really don't know what to look for in the replies anyway.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a standard reply of "your decision" to any question. Obviously, you don't have to respond at all but in small games this seems a little stupid - you are there to have a socialable time as well so I think a standard response is better and cannot give away info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in small games, I still don't think I owe anyone this info by being social. I'll be social when the hand is over.

[ QUOTE ]
I also think a lot of players see the pro's on TV ask these questions but really don't know what to look for in the replies anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Joe Navarro's Read Em and Reap book discusses this well. To the OP: If you haven't read it, and you find yourself not sure what to make of things like this, you should definitely read it.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM

After a big bet someone saying "i'll show you" is almost always a bluff
Old 09-18-2007, 05:42 AM

Thanks for your replies. I have read the Navarro book, and when I get asked these questions I remain silent in my "hands cupped under my chin" pose as recommended.

I refrain from speech play myself as I'm not sure how to control the results. The only misdirection I use is staring out an opponent when I have the nuts to simulate weakness.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:10 PM

as a further point on this, what do you do with your body when asked these questions?
i mean do you just keep looking at them or where your looking and if you look away from them when they ask isnt this a sign of weakness, like you are scared, something that the body does as a reflex if u r weak
Old 09-23-2007, 04:58 AM

Just do the same thing always and it won`t be a tell.
If you are jumping aound o making animal sounds every time you are asked sth., they can`t get information fom you.
It might even distract them.
Perhaps i should ty it.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play live a lot, and was wondering how to interpret a lot of the common forms of speech play that occur. In particular, these statements:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
1) "Do you want me to call?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally this indicates they have a weak hand.
My standard answer is: "It depends what you've got."

[ QUOTE ]
2) "Will you show me if I fold?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally this indicates they have a weak hand.
I generally say, "sure." - regardless of the strength of my hand. But not always. If I'm pretty sure the player will fold if I say yes, and call if I say no, or don't say anything, I'll answer the way that will get the result I want.

[ QUOTE ]
3) "Let's gamble"

[/ QUOTE ]

Players can say this for a lot of reasons. Some say it when they raise with aces, some when they call with 72 or with a draw. Some say it when they sit down at the table, sometimes to play like a maniac, sometimes to play tight. Etc, etc, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
4) "You don't have to call"

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on the game and the player. In easy low limit games, sometimes it means they have the nuts, and they are trying to be nice. Sometimes they have a weak hand and don't want a call.

[ QUOTE ]
For the most part I think people are looking at the way in which people respond to these questions (rather than whether they say yes or no). Any ideas welcomed about what these common statements mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re 1: I agree that most people are looking at the way in which people respond to this question (rather than whether they say yes or no.)

Re 2: For this one, I think it is often mainly just plain old curiousity about what the bettor has. Though they will consider how the question is answered in deciding whether to fold, call or raise. Note: this is based on low limit game experience.

Re 3: Not to see how people react, but either a real or false indication that they play loose.

Re 4: Since this is said after a bet or raise, it is generally said to influence the other player(s) actions, not to get a read on them.

All this is based on my experience in low limit live games.