Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Counter Offensive, How we deter our politicians and keep our game

I kept it simple, but here is my action taken tonight:

To: info@claireonline.com
CC: bill_frist@frist.senate.gov, comments@whitehouse.gov, Chairman@gop.com, email@pokerplayersalliance.org, info@talentforsenate.com, support@johnkerry.com

Dear Ms. McCaskill,

Tonight I made a $25 contriubtion to your campaign since polls indicate you are in a very tight Senate battle which may prove critical to the make-up of our Senate. Specifically this is in protest of the recent Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement bill added on to the Port Security Act.

Poker is a game of skill enjoyed by millions of Americans and not every American has access to play in "government approved" venues due to location and/or personal circumstances. During an 8 month battle with cancer I was unable to be around crowds, but online poker allowed me to play the game I loved while keeping my mind occupied during a very scary time in my life.

Going forward, I would like to see online poker specifically legalized and regulated within the United States like other countries have begun to do.

Thank you,

Joseph D. XXXXX

Phone: (###) ###-####
Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Counter Offensive, Follow Up Post

Some additional thoughts / suggestions:

1. Only focus on this race. Our time is too limited to gather enough support to create a noticeable spike if the effort is split amongst all races. This is why I would not pick a Democrat and Republican race or send money directly to say the Democratic / Republican party.

2. DO NOT GET THE PPA INVOLVED !!! Other then if you want to make them aware of the campaign. They should remain a non-partisan entity. We have the greatest impact if poker supporters appear as SWING voters. This is critical, it is what makes law makers COMPETE to get your votes! The role of the PPA is to lobby both parties and raise awareness of the number of players, potential voting strength, etc... ie, they tell the politicians, after the fact, what effect we had on this race so they remember next time (without appearing to have a favorite in the race, of course).

3. The same above holds true for poker sites, but to a lesser degree. They would be fine if they posted a notice about this or referred people to legislation section on 2+2. But, they have enough legal troubles without appearing to be siding with one political party or another.

4. Keep spreading the word. People have mentioned contacting the moderator here and doing cross posts. I have no idea how to do this so if any one wants to jump in and help please take the initiative.

Good Luck All.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:42 AM

Great letter Owl. I sent $20 to her tonight. 9,998 donations to go. Only a few 100 people have read this post. How do we transmit this idea to more poker players?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:40 AM

This is a great idea, but how do we get a few thousand poker players to make a contribution to Claire McCaskill? Right now, there are less than 700 views of this post. If 10% of those make a contribution of $25, then that equates only to a contribution of $1,750. That's not going to do anything! We need to have an overall contribution of over $100,000 if we really want to get our message out.

Mods, the PPA, and others need to spread this message if we really want this to work. How do we get that done?

In the meantime, I am visiting www.claireonline.com to make a donation. If you are reading this email, please do the same and make a donation along with a tag of why you are making the donation (to preserve online poker)! Everyone should be doing this. Please don't shy away because of political leanings! I've been a lifelong republican; but, right now, what is far more important is getting our voice out. Right now, this is about the best way to do it. So, don't wait! Make some kind of donation today!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We can do it!!!!!! Can we get the PPA to sponsor this idea ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Contact Mike Omalley and others to gain, they should be able to chip in big time in such an effort.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:41 AM

This action is not meant as either a Republican or Democratic thing (at least not by me, others will use it that way). I only chose the Democratic candidate because it makes a statement against a very specific action (not a party), which was a Bill Frist led event of attaching the legislation to the Port Security Bill. In general I think part of our problem with politicians is they have not put any thought around gambling legislation so the main purpose of this type of protest is to make both parties aware they are risking upsetting many voters who might otherwise vote for them.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:02 AM

Agreed, its not about parties (sheesh i am cringing) its about issues, Earlier in the post there was a list of tight races, who is the incumbent, and who is running against them?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:22 AM

I do not have favorable impressions of either Democrats or Republicans and expect better from mostly everyone.

That being said, I think it is important right now to have a two party government. This will not allow politicians to ram something through and also send a message hopefully that poker players as a group can make a difference.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:39 AM

ill kick in a buy in if i see some action on this, otherwise im throwing money at a hand that cant win. can someone stick a donation counter on this or something?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:52 AM

I am mostly a lurker, but this post motivated me to get off my but and do something.

I sent in my donation today.