Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Default 55 $ Stars, isolating fish with 67s on button

So i try to learn some ways to accumulate chips in the middle of a tournament. This was a good spot in my opinion, villain is a weak player and i have a good position to play heads up with him. Thoughts on the hand? How do these online-superstars get their censored chips when they are carddead, thought it was in spots like this.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO (t8090)
Hero (t3030)
SB (t5555)
BB (t2715)
UTG (t8650)
UTG+1 (t2430)
MP1 (t3080)
MP2 (t2630)
MP3 (t3185)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t350</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t250.

Flop: (t850) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, MP2 calls t600.

Turn: (t2050) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2080</font>, MP2 calls t1080 (All-In).
River: (t5810) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t5410
Old 11-12-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: 55 $ Stars, isolating fish with 67s on button

If he is a fish he wont be folding this turn... All you have ís a straight draw most of the times. The way I feel, it feels like we will just win this hand if we hit one of our 8 outs and with 1 more card to come, meh, fold.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 PM

uh he has 17 outs? at least? still there is no FE, so I don't like a shove. If you shove he calls 100% of the time and you are just gambling for your stack when you dont have to. I call because pot odds are clearly there and if you brick out and he shoves you can fold and still have 14BBs. If you hit he stacks off like every time.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 PM

preflop is meh but i dont think its horrible.
on the flop i'd bet less or more depending on your read
(less if he's weak-tight, more if he's passive because this flop is awesome for our hand. also a bigger flop bet makes the turn decision a lot easier.

turn is standard. flat calling that and folding to a brick river is weaksauce
Old 11-12-2007, 09:03 PM

if villian isn't weak tight, i'd have to disagree with jonnyd. your push is getting called.. just call and hit, fold if not. he seems to like his hand, and most MTT fish don't fold when they like their hand. call and improve. if villian is LAG, i'm likely to check behind on this flop to try and hit my hand. on the flop if he's passive i'm valuebetting my super draw, and if he's weak tight i'm semi bluffing my super draw. on the turn i'm calling all but the most fearful opponents.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 PM

I like stealing when i'm first one entering the pot. Pre-flop you have no fold equity, he's calling for sure. Flop was a dream flop, your bet is good maybe you should've bet higher like 750. I like shove in this spot but it seems overbet. On turn, like offmandh says shoving isn't good because he's committed. I don't like calling on turn but it seems the best here. You have right odds.

And i don't understand why in these spots your only draw is straight. It's rare that two players make flush on same hand. And we know that he's pot committed and we'll take his last 1080 chips on river. It's still 3700 to 600 to call even if you think you have only straight draw. These are godly implied odds. But as i said this is bs.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM

i disagree that if you call the turn and you hit
that he will stack off 100% of the time.

also if you arent going to play a sick draw like this hard
then fold preflop
Old 11-12-2007, 09:29 PM

Call the turn and confidently fold the river UI..sure some say it's weak but chances are your 7 high is beat and you can give yourself a fighting chance in this tournament...hell consider it a freeroll from that point...
Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 PM

Preflop I really dislike. You're only about 26bb deep. Suited connectors get their value from being deep and having implied odds.

The stated reason was to isolate the fish, but realize that these players are the ones that are least likely to fold (both preflop and on the flop). Since you clearly don't have good implied hands or a hand that plays well shortstacked, you need lots of FE. You won't get the fish to fold much, so I'd rather make this play against a weak/tight opponent who may actually fold preflop (or on the flop) and whose range is also easier to define.

Flop is fine.

Turn I agree with offmandh. You definitely aren't going to get him to fold for ~1,000 more, especially since he is a fish. Call (you're easily getting odds) and you can fold brick rivers. He is letting you play perfectly. You can also count on him paying you off if you hit.

BTW, we have 15 outs, not 17. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 09:35 PM

With regards to whether or not we can get him to payoff a river if we hit...

Villain will be getting over 3:1 on the river and if he is a fish, he has at least a pair and isn't folding. Him c/c'ing flop and leading turn is always a pair or better, and he isn't going anywhere on even the grossest of rivers.