Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: EDF MUSICIANS THREAD (Guitar/Piano/Singers/etc...)

I normally don't post in this forum, but this thread caught my eye.
Nice to know I'm not the only nerd out there lol
I'm a music major in trumpet performance at LSU.
That's sick that you went to Juiliard. gg.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you say more about New School, turnip? I have a friend there and another applying, and by all accounts it sounds like just about the best place to study jazz. Also thanks for the recs. I like frisell but haven't heard of bernstein. Will check him out for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

my rock band's bassist came out of the New School.

they're very forward-thinking and open-minded compared to most other jazz programs. lots of room for experimental/avant-garde music. and our bassist plays some of the most interesting rock lines i've heard from anyone.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:12 AM

I can say more about the new school than you want to hear. some people really like it, some people don't. a lot of people graduate with a degree in jazz performance and a lot of debt, which can really suck. for me, it was great and I loved it, but I was in a much different spot than someone going there straight out of high school. there are definitely a lot of pros/cons to weigh. it is not really like a traditional college enviroment in any way, and I think you have to be a very motivated/driven individual to get the most out of it. I did my undergrad in computer science, and the best way to describe the new school is the complete opposite of that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. it is very much not about doing assignments and taking tests, there are few if any textbooks (which I didn't like, incidentally).

feel free to pm me if you have specific questions.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:45 PM

So what would you musicians suggest is the easy to pick up for a 19 year old? I've always wanted to play the piano but have heard that it is one of the harder things to learn. Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I studied at Juilliard and various music festivals when I was young...

... I've been thinking lately it might be fun to do some Police tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the only time in my life I will ever hear these two sentences used in the same paragraph and context. Awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 20 years ago or so this would be more "true". Nowadays you see a decent number of musicians at the top conservatories who enjoy rock music etc. What you don't see is conservatory students who enjoy rap or electronic music... maybe another 20 years, lol?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:57 PM

I dabble in keys, electronic/hip hop composition, and turntablism.

But, I also work in the music industry, so I leave the playing to far more capable people. My best musical attribute is my ear.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:23 PM

I'm just getting back into playing guitar

I've always wanted to be a songwriter and perform live and get a band together and [censored] but I've never really been good enough to

So that's one of the things I'll be working on here
Old 10-12-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What you don't see is conservatory students who enjoy rap or electronic music... maybe another 20 years, lol?

[/ QUOTE ]

not true at all. I went to mason gross for two years and many of us listened to rap and electronic music, and I left mason gross 7 years ago. I knew plenty of people who went to julliard, berklee, and eastman that listened to a very wide range of music.

Honestly, the people who pigeonholed their music and were snobs about it were generally tools. I listened predominetly to jazz when I was there, but I also listened to rap, rock, funk, etc.

I don't know what people you're hanging around with from conservatories to make that generalization
Old 10-12-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what would you musicians suggest is the easy to pick up for a 19 year old? I've always wanted to play the piano but have heard that it is one of the harder things to learn. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
The important thing is to pick an instrument that you really connect with. If you've always wanted to play piano, learn piano. My suggestion is to take lessons. You'll learn faster and avoid bad habits.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 PM

I've played guitar for close to 20yrs. When I was younger I started out on the cello and moved to the violin. Played in a couple bands when I was younger. For the last 10 yrs I've been playing on and off with this older guy who helped catalogue the 78 collection for the Smithsonian. He's taught me so much about music. Basically we play old string band stuff, country blues-- stuff like that and toss in the odd Derek and the Dominos tune or whatever.

I've had a ton of guitars but right now I have an olympic white strat, a 52 reissue tele and a '47 Martin d-18.