Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 NHL Season Thread***

bump

Devils' new arena is quite phenomenal - if anyone's ever in Newark (lozl), I suggest checking it out. Shame it's still the same quiet fans - the place won't get loud until the second round of the playoffs.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:29 PM

LOL. My Ducks are looking terrible. There's no offense right now, however I'm holding onto the fact they've yet to play healthy. 4 players out right now + no Selanne + no Niedermayer makes me reminisce about the good ol' days of June. 2 goals a game isn't going to cut it right now.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:40 PM

I got tickets to go to 2 of the Rangers/Devils games there. I am very excited to see it in person.

It was odd to see the fans so clearly through brand new glass around the boards.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 AM

alright, since it's late and i'm done homework, i'll give my two cents about the season up to now which is now roughly one month old.

Ottawa is the real deal. Cup favourites by far, with the most volatile top three in Spezza, Alfie and Heatley, and for the moment, they're backed by the hottest backup alive with a very very solid starter. While Carolina looks to be over that one-year slump and back to their winning ways of a few years ago, and while Philly certainly looks new and improved (not to mention Biron is standing on his head), there really isn't any serious competition for Ottawa in my opinion. Unless something crazy happens to disturb that equilibrium, this team still looks like the clear Stanley Cup favourite they were supposed to be at the beginning of the season. For the next month, I figure for Atlanta to continue to rebound after it's poor start (4-2 after starting 0-6) and get back into the swing of things in the SE (Hedberg is fine). Also expect NYR to do the same after their slow start.

For me, the West is a puzzle. I know in the back of my mind that I always think Detroit's bound to slow down with their aging core and netminders, yet they're off to the best start behind Ottawa, no thanks to Osgood being a stud. It doesn't hurt playing in (arguably) the worst division in the league. I like the looks of Colorado and Calgary, though -- I tihnk they will battle for the NW in the end.

side notes: I don't know if there's been a starting goalie who looks as bad as Chris Mason. He's quickly losing his grip on his first year of being a #1. This might be a little premature but he really needs to pick up his play if he doesn't want to become Ellis' backup.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:48 AM

Atlanta is pretty terrible. I don't expect them to go anywhere. That defense is brutal.

I don't think the Wings play in the worst division in hockey anymore - that honor goes to the Hurricanes now, who have certainly returned from Cup hangover.

I sincerely doubt Ottawa are 'cup favourites by far'. It's still October. Remember how good the Sabres looked this time last year? I don't think they'd lost yet. It's a long season.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 AM

it's defintely either the central or the southeast that's the worst. I just think the gap between the Wings and the rest of the central is greater than the Hurricanes and the rest of the southeast.

agreed, it is a long season and strange things do happen. however at this point and time, Ottawa doesn't seem to have a big weakness in any area (neither does Carolina, I guess, but like Detroit, I never really expect Carolina to sustain the scoring they put up night in night out).
Old 11-11-2007, 02:13 AM

uh, is anyone checking out DAL@LA tonight?

4-0 DAL after two, LA scores 5 times in a span of 5:07 (with <8 minutes to go) in the third period, and DAL just tied it up with 1:05 to go... that's some crazy chit.

edit: homg miikka kipprusoff you are the biggest disappointment ever. tim thomas, stop playing out of your league.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 AM

I'm probably the only Stars fan on 2p2, but whatever: Stars fired Doug Armstrong today and named Brett Hull and Les Jackson co-interim-GMs. Maybe that Kings debacle lit a fire under Hicks' ass or something.

Thank [censored] god. Armey was awful. Plz to be getting young goalscorers some time in the next decade now.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:25 AM

WTF does Brett Hull know about being a GM?

Garth Snow did an ok job with the Isles, but they were such a mess that he couldn't make it any worse. The Stars are a very good team that can be ruined by a couple of bad moves.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 AM

for those of you unfortunate enough to have Cablevision in the NYC area, they at least added the NHL Network. channel 401. I just noticed it tonight. Not sure how long it has been there.

Seems pretty cool to actually see highlights each night of every game.