Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 09-26-2007, 06:36 PM

Default ***Official 2007-2008 NHL Season Thread***

The season kicks off Saturday at 9AM Pacific with Ducks vs. Kings in London. The defending champs are starting the season without 4 of the key components of their Cup run...Giguere (injury), Pahlsson (injury), Niedermayer (suspended/retired?), and Selanne (unsigned/retired?). The Kings are much improved up front, but they still have goaltending issues which means they may not fair a whole lot better this season in a difficult Pacific.

Who is everyone picking as their favorites? I'm going Anaheim to repeat if Selanne and Niedermayer return at some point this season (both a homer pick + they'll be even better on paper than last year with those 2 plus Bertuzzi/Schnieder additions). If neither play this year, I'm going with the Rangers. The offense is looking pretty nice and they have a great goalie. The D is suspect, but I think it should be enough for the Rags to have a great season.

My division winners:
Pacific - Ducks
Northwest - Flames
Central - Wings
Southeast - Lightning
Northeast - Senators
Atlantic - Rangers

Oh yeah and the pic I saw today that inspired me to start this thread [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 NHL Season Thread***

sharks + roenick - toskala - guerin - bell = cup champs

mark it
Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sharks + roenick - toskala - guerin - bell = cup champs

mark it

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I'm not sure how that equation is supposed to equal Cup champs, but I definitely do think they have a shot. They have the talent, but just need to pull it together come playoff time.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:47 PM

i've always hated toskala, i thought he was overrated and overvalued and a liability in the net. the only reason he had such a great record was because the offense put up 6 goals a game when he played and the defense would hold the opposition to 25 shots or less most of the time. nabakov on the other hand was stuck with 2-3 goals of offense defending 40 shots a night.

old and washed up as roenick is, he gives the team added intensity that they desperately needed (went to all the home games against the wings in the semis and they were just getting their teeth punched in and nobody had the balls to finish a check, let alone knock a red wing the [censored] out)

guerin and bell were utterly useless, pavelski's a star in the making, cheechoo had a great 2nd half last year and i feel like an entire season with rivet shoring the defense can't possibly be a bad thing.

plus, how can u bet against the new badass shark logo?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:09 PM

you totally stole my official nhl season thread

the west puzzles me. i don't really tihnk the ducks will do it again this year, though they could. i guess top dog is san jose... detroit will probably do as well or maybe a bit worse than last year, but I think Colorado will do very well. most think it'll be either CGY or VAN winning the NW but I'm going to go with COL
Old 09-26-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you totally stole my official nhl season thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but as the #1 fan of the reigning champs on 2+2, I figured I could call dibs on the official thread.

[ QUOTE ]
the west puzzles me. i don't really tihnk the ducks will do it again this year, though they could. i guess top dog is san jose... detroit will probably do as well or maybe a bit worse than last year, but I think Colorado will do very well. most think it'll be either CGY or VAN winning the NW but I'm going to go with COL

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing holding me back from picking Colorado in the NW is goaltending. You could make the case that they have the worst goaltending in the division (not saying they do, but it could be close). Vancouver didn't really do much to address their offensive woes, so I don't like them.

While San Jose is really good, I don't see how they've leaped over Detroit in the offseason and they only leap over the Ducks due to the 2 "retirees".

BTW, I'm holding onto the hope for the Ducks that Nieds is holding out just long enough to get enough cap space for Selanne. I'll be happy with both returning near the end of 2007.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 PM

I agree that Colorado's only serious weakness is it's goaltending. Budaj < Backstrom = Roloson << Kipprusoff = Luongo. But I love the look of it's offense and defense, especially with Smyth and Hannan added this offseason. If Svatos and Hejduk don't underachieve again...

Everyone always plays the "how does this old team of nothing but veterans keep winning" on Detroit, and I never really buy into that, but this year I tihnk I will, to an extent. Not sure why, but they're just another year older, now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

as for the east... I hope Philly turns in a big comeback year. I think Toronto will do better than expected as well, and Washington will be better as well.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 PM

Speaking of Philly, Vegas has them ridiculously high considering they were last in the league last season. 7th best to win the Cup on this list. Washington looks like a fantastic deal out of the longshots. (sorry, not sure what the source of the odds are, just found it on another board as "Vegas odds")...

Anaheim +500
Ottawa +675
Detroit +725
San Jose +750
N.Y. Rangers +900
Buffalo +950
Philadelphia +1,000
Calgary +1,500
Colorado +1,500
Vancouver +1,500
Pittsburgh +1,500
Nashville +1,700
Toronto +2,000
Minnesota +2,100
New Jersey +2,100
Dallas +2,000
Atlanta +2,400
Carolina +2,500
Tampa Bay +2,500
Montreal +3,100
Florida +4,100
N.Y. Islanders +4,700
Boston +5,000
Los Angeles +5,400
St. Louis +5,500
Edmonton +6,500
Washington +6,500
Chicago +8,500
Columbus +8,500
Phoenix +10,500
Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Those are bad odds on Buffalo. They won't contend for the cup without Briere. Best deals out there are Pittsburgh, Toronto, and Washington, according to those odds, at least.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've always hated toskala, i thought he was overrated and overvalued and a liability in the net. the only reason he had such a great record was because the offense put up 6 goals a game when he played and the defense would hold the opposition to 25 shots or less most of the time. nabakov on the other hand was stuck with 2-3 goals of offense defending 40 shots a night.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do understand that this is variance at its best right? I agree that Nabby is a far better keeper, but Toskala was far from a liability.

Bell was a HUGE bust last year, but I would not of minded seeing Guerin back. Roenick will bring additional leadership as well as a strong game even though his best games are behind him for sure.

BTW, I was at the Sharks-Ducks game on Fraday and the Sharks owned them the entire game!!!! I figure that will be status quo for the entire upcoming season.