Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Another Workout Thread (5 questions) Help me out

1. I just started doing two-a-days late last week, going to gym early in the AM for 90 minutes doing basic exercises (abs/lower back/stretches) along with 45min of cardio...in the evening I do about 45min of heavy freeweights and 30min cardio (all cardio is done on the upright bike)

the problem is I feel kinda bloated and gassy when I exercise in the early AM...is this normal or could something be causing this?

2. I would like to work my lower back everyday but I'm not sure if the lower back is a muscle group similar to the abdominals and calves which can be worked everyday. Am I setting myself for a lower back injury? (For lower back I use the apparatus where my legs are locked and I'm bending over and lifting back up at a 45 degree angle. I'm also using a 25lb plate for resistance).

3. I am not eating prior to my morning workouts. I feel I do not have to because I'm not really doing any heavy muscle exercises. However, should I be eating something small at least? 1/4 cup of oatmeal perhaps?

4. I'm having trouble reading my books while doing cardio b/c of the loud music the gym plays. I blast my ipod in retaliation but its still hard to really soak in the words plus my ears are practically ringing. Any solutions to this problem?

5. Also a basic diet question...If I'm only taking in 1,000 cals/day but there is 100g of protein in there, will my muscles grow properly or will the low cals make me burn more muscle than gain? I weight about 175lbs and am 5'9"

thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Another Workout Thread (5 questions) Help me out

1. I just started doing two-a-days late last week, going to gym early in the AM for 90 minutes doing basic exercises (abs/lower back/stretches) along with 45min of cardio...in the evening I do about 45min of heavy freeweights and 30min cardio (all cardio is done on the upright bike)

You are doing too much. Keep it up if you like, but your body will eventually counter.

the problem is I feel kinda bloated and gassy when I exercise in the early AM...is this normal or could something be causing this?

Maybe normal for you, not a big deal.

2. I would like to work my lower back everyday but I'm not sure if the lower back is a muscle group similar to the abdominals and calves which can be worked everyday. Am I setting myself for a lower back injury? (For lower back I use the apparatus where my legs are locked and I'm bending over and lifting back up at a 45 degree angle. I'm also using a 25lb plate for resistance).

3. I am not eating prior to my morning workouts. I feel I do not have to because I'm not really doing any heavy muscle exercises. However, should I be eating something small at least? 1/4 cup of oatmeal perhaps?

Why do you ask? Trying to lose weight? If so I say yes eat something small, although idiots will disagree. The point is to tell your body you are not starving, keeping your metabolism moving.

4. I'm having trouble reading my books while doing cardio b/c of the loud music the gym plays. I blast my ipod in retaliation but its still hard to really soak in the words plus my ears are practically ringing. Any solutions to this problem?

In ear headphones. You can go to can audiologist and have custom made inserts for the shure series headphones. I did this and enjoy them very much. $150.

5. Also a basic diet question...If I'm only taking in 1,000 cals/day but there is 100g of protein in there, will my muscles grow properly or will the low cals make me burn more muscle than gain? I weight about 175lbs and am 5'9"

You will gain an amount of muscle that is near zero, or less than zero, depending on your original fitness level. As you maintain this course you will certainly lose muscle.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 PM

1. It's gas. Try psyllium.
2. A roman chair? Work the lower back like any other muscle group. Come only to parallel on this apparatus, arching above parallel is a weakened position for the spine.
3. Carbs are always good.
4. If you can read, you're not working hard enough.
5. You can't grow muscle without caloric surplus.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 PM

Even without working out, 1000 cals/day seems very very low for someone your size. There's about 0 chance you gain muscle through this workout regime.

Also, do you do deadlifts? If not, you should. If you do, screw your lower back routine.

Edit-- I'd also be helpful if you outlined your goals (gain weight, lose weight, maintain weight, blah blah holla)
Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 PM

I am trying to lose weight and body fat primarily...my desired wieght is in the 150-155lbs range. I am happy with my frame and don't really need to gain tons of muscle right now. I was pretty muscular a few years ago after working out for almost 2 years straight so I'm sure as I lose weight my muscles will still be there.

After I get there I guess I can bulk up by increasing caloric intake obv and cutting out evening cardio if I'm not happy with my size.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:47 PM

dude, ur GOTTA eat a sh*tload more than 1000 cal/day with a two-a-day regime if u wanna build muscle

2500+
Old 02-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Surf,

It's much better (and easier) to bulk up now, then cut later.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:03 PM

Like everybody here is saying, 1000 calories is way too low. If you are trying to lose fat, go for about 500 calories less a day than your BMR. If you do cardio on top of that, you can lose around 2 pounds a week while not losing too much muscle in the process.

THIS website has a basic formula for calculating your BMR, and a calcuator on the bottom. Use this to estimate how much you should be eating in a day.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:09 PM

biggest advice i can offer you is ditch the weak sauce 45 minute cardio.. sorry if I'm off here but I'm imagining you're doing something like treadmill or stepper. Do some real intense cardio that has you sweating buckets and gasping for air. Some of the fitness classes the offer at the gym are actually quite intense. Check em out, or maybe hitting the bags, or drilling sprints etc. hell even basketball or racquetball is good for you. Just remember the best way to have an athletic physique (lean, musclar, "toned") is to BE ATHLETIC! do something challenging for your body.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
biggest advice i can offer you is ditch the weak sauce 45 minute cardio.. sorry if I'm off here but I'm imagining you're doing something like treadmill or stepper. Do some real intense cardio that has you sweating buckets and gasping for air. Some of the fitness classes the offer at the gym are actually quite intense. Check em out, or maybe hitting the bags, or drilling sprints etc. hell even basketball or racquetball is good for you. Just remember the best way to have an athletic physique (lean, musclar, "toned") is to BE ATHLETIC! do something challenging for your body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I do the upright bicycle. I maintain an rpm of over 100 and wear sweats and my heartrate is usually hovering around 130-140 and I do interval levels that go pretty high...believe me, I sweat enough and I'm doing about 75min of cardio/day but I understand what you're saying as far as high intesity classes go.

Honestly though, most of those classes are in the evening and I have neither the time nor the desire to partake in those classes.

[ QUOTE ]
Surf,

It's much better (and easier) to bulk up now, then cut later.

[/ QUOTE ]

What??? You mean easier to bulk now than later. Your statement is a little confusing.