Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Anyone gonna see The Fountain?

I've had this movie from netflix sitting on my desk for about a week now. I only got it because for a while I was on a rush of weird indy films (i.e. Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire) and now I'm over that. I also kind of lost interest in wanting to see this movie after I read the plot. I'll prolly get around to it though.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM

lol...I tried to watch this movie a few months ago. Got about 30 minutes in and turned it off. It was very bad.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the fountain is good to watch if you're sick, high, or otherwise in some bizarre state of mind... it's sort of aesthetically appealing, but not a particularly good movie.

life aquatic was pretty funny imo. not great, but certainly not awful.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't even agree with this. My roommate and her friend made a big deal about me getting blazed and watching it with them. I thought it was a pretentious piece of [censored], that made almost no sense.

On a side note I hate films like this, because I know they suck and you know they suck. But somewhere there is some little [censored], who is going to make the claim that I just didn't "get" it. Hey [censored], there was nothing to get. The film was [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, it’s not necessary for a movie to “make sense” in order for some people to get something out of it. If you got nothing out of it, fine. People who like it aren’t necessarily saying you’re stupid and it’s over your head, only that it didn’t speak to you for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with that. I didn't like Inland Empire, for example. I don't think the people who liked it are pretentious or whatever, it just didn't move me. On the flipside, it’s pretty arrogant of you to say that people must be lying when they say they like something you don’t like. Why do you care so much that I like the movie that you feel the need to call me a “little [censored]” because I do? Why can’t you just say you didn’t like the movie and leave it at that?

Anyway, enough feeding the troll. I’m curious what you guys who like the movie think about the competing plot theories. Obviously I don’t think there has to be an easy explanation, but it’s fun to speculate. SPOILERS IN WHITE: <font color="white">So, is that Tom in the bubble or is the space scene the final chapter written by Tom in Izzi’s book? Seems to me that the Tomas character dying in the book is a big problem for this theory. With his death there’s no easy way to draw a connection between him and Space Tom unless you think Tom turned Izzi’s book into a Cloud Atlas-type novel about loosely connected characters from different time periods, maybe even inserting modern-day Izzi and Tom into the story. It’s hard to ignore that Aronofsky himself refers to The Fountain as a sci-fi movie, which implies that it is the “real” Tom in the bubble.

One other question: what is the deal with Tom changing course at the end and going out to watch the snow with Izzi? Is that just his dying wish that he had done things differently, or is it in the book, or is his wish somehow granted, or does the entire movie take place in that moment when he thinks about whether or not to follow her? Are there any clues in the movie that make one explanation more plausible than the others? I’m going to try to watch it again tonight.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

You make good points. In retrospect I don't know why I was so angry. If you enjoy it, more power to you.