Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Cold calling from the button/cutoff to a 3-bet OOTB

This is a part of my game where I've really struggled with. I feel like I'm very weak/tight in re-raised pots with marginal hands and am constantly being outplayed. Effective stacks are 100BB's. My stats are 21/16/3. Assume no real history between two players.

Scenario 1: You open from the cutoff or button and get 3-bet by a 19/12/2 type player - solid winning TAG. What is your range for cold-calling here?

What do you do with AA, 88, TJo, A3s, AQo, 67s, ATs and JJ?

Scenario 2: This time you are 3-bet by a 34/29 maniac type player. How does your range change here?

What do you do with AA, 88, TJo, A3s, AQo, 67s, ATs and JJ?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Cold calling from the button/cutoff to a 3-bet OOTB

its hard to give absolute answers based on stats. you have to get a feel for villains 3-betting frequency for yourself while you're at the table.

against a std 19/12/2 though in scenario one I would call with probably AK and TT or better.

Against the maniac I would probably call with AJ+ and 88+ as well as KQ and maybe even weaker broadway hands, but again this depends on what range villain is RR with
Old 08-05-2007, 10:01 AM

It's not clear to me wether you're in position or out of position when opening from the CO.

It's hard to give an exact calling range without knowing villain's postflop tendencies. Is he the type to fire one barrel in a 3-bet pot and then give up? Will he c-bet nearly his entire range but fold a large part if you shove over his c-bet? Will he often follow up on the turn after betting the flop? etc. etc.

Versus the maniac I'm 4-betting a fairly wide range as well as occasionally trapping with stronger hands. Once again hard to give a definite answer.

Of the hands you listed A3s is probably the worst to flatcall with. Either 4-bet it or fold. Versus the 19/12 4-betting it is probably not a great idea as his 3-betting range will be fairly narrow to begin with.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 AM

I dont really think this thread is asking the right question.