Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Table Demeanor

Do you have a specific routine when you're at the table as far as all your actions. ex: Getting your cards, looking at your cards, checking, betting, raising, tough decisions, etc so as not to give off tells?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Table Demeanor

Nope...i do the opposite i am always moving talking joking screwing with my chips...i do it to blanket my tells cause there is no freaking way i can set still and not talk for more than 5 mins...
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 PM

lol @ adhd!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:58 PM

you can also use it to your advantage to illicit tells from opposing players.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:38 PM

Generally I will not look at my cards until it's my turn to act. I watch the players looking at their cards and their reactions.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm pretty careful about my patterns preflop - and postflop my betting pattern is going to be way more important than my physical tells, but I do try to minimize them.

Big thing I love to exploit (and cover up) is how you handle cards after you look at them and before you act. Generally I look early (generally someone will be slow on their turn from early position, and I grab my peek then) and only cap my cards when I put chips into the pot. On my blinds I cap immediately, before I even look.

Someone who gets ready to muck before their turn is possibly the most easily exploited move in live poker.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:55 PM

How can it be easy to exploit if you know they are going to muck? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I look at my cards when it's my turn. I try to take the same amount of time no matter what. I use my card protector before I look if I'm three or more off the button.

Post flop I try to remain the same, but it rarely works. I'm too talkative. I know I used to have a ton of tells, but apparently I've gotten better.

I'd love to be able to sit still during a hand, but I, too, cannot sit still for that long.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally I will not look at my cards until it's my turn to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

The drawback is that everyone at the table is able to watch your reaction to seeing your cards.

I look at my cards immediately and swiftly as soon as they're dealt.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:03 PM

That's why I try to act the same way every time. If you keep your head down for so many seconds, they cannot see your eyes, etc., and it is tougher to get a read. I count out the seconds every time, no matter if I am going to fold, raise or call.

I like to be able to watch everyone, and I don't want to have to take a quick peek. I used to do that, and I'd sometimes end up having to look again or even getting a card/suit wrong. Not fun.

I never re-check my cards.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can it be easy to exploit if you know they are going to muck? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I look at my cards when it's my turn. I try to take the same amount of time no matter what. I use my card protector before I look if I'm three or more off the button.

Post flop I try to remain the same, but it rarely works. I'm too talkative. I know I used to have a ton of tells, but apparently I've gotten better.

I'd love to be able to sit still during a hand, but I, too, cannot sit still for that long.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know they're gonna muck, there's gonna be less resistance when you try to steal - you should always look to your left before deciding on your action! It's also pretty obvious if someone is holding a raise in their hand that they may just intend to (and lets you either fold or limp/reraise them). Same is true postflop, but not as strong.

Card Protector - I put mine (a chip from the stack) on when I put money into the pot - if I'm a blind, its immediate. Otherwise its on my turn.