Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 03:30 AM

Default Re: \"Next Weekend\" vs. \"This Weekend\"

"next weekend" means the weekend after this one. If you had said it on Monday, it would still mean the weekend after this. If you had meant the Sunday the day after Friday, you would have said "this weekend" or "this sunday"
Old 04-17-2006, 03:47 AM

"This weekend" during a weekend means the current weekend.
"This weekend" during the week means the weekend coming up.
"Next weekend" during a weekend means the first weekend after you finish the current weekend.
"Next weekend" during the week is a term that should never be used, because there is no current weekend. Anyone who uses this term during the week is probably retarded, also anyone who hears this term during the week and doesn't think to clarify is similarly retarded.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:55 AM

Interestingly, I believe had OP said "next Sunday" instead of "next weekend", the friend would have understood it to mean the 23rd.

To the OP: I have to agree that Mary is not the brightest bulb. Had you asked her on Friday "What are you doing this weekend?", would she have thought you were asking her what she's doing five days ago?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interestingly, I believe had OP said "next Sunday" instead of "next weekend", the friend would have understood it to mean the 23rd.

To the OP: I have to agree that Mary is not the brightest bulb. Had you asked her on Friday "What are you doing this weekend?", would she have thought you were asking her what she's doing five days ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

good question. maybe i will run that by her lol i let her do the "i'm a girl, have to complain about anything" attitude today. yes i should have specified the date, a miscommunication, but she took the situation way too far. long and boring story, kinda besides the point right now