Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Borgata Summer Open 500+60

My busto hand. Wondering if there's a different way to play these. Where did I spew?

Borgata Summer Open 500+60. 378 players, 150-160 left, we're about to end the 5th level. Blinds 200-400 w/ 50 ante, I start hand with 6250 in chips. I started out hot, getting stack up to 13.5k in the first hour and a half, but have since slipped, card dead in addition to losing a 99 versus AQs shortstack race preflop.

My image is very good - tight, aggressive, and I haven't lost any BIG pots or shown down any trash. My table is weak although Eric Bankoff from televised USPC is on my left.

In the CO with Qh7h. Folded around, player to my right limps. I make it 1300. Button and SB muck, BB shoves AI for 2k total. OK, sucks, now I have to take my hand to showdown, but I'm getting odds and drawing live blah blah blah.

Guy who limped screws the equation up by cold calling 2k. I call the remaining 700. Pot +/-6600.

Flop 6h-4h-2x. Check, I check, sidepot is zero.
Turn 7x. Turn top pair with my flush draw. Guy bets 2k into me, I debate and shove t4250. Get called, he has 7d6d. Guy for the mainpot has KTo, no heart. River is a 6 and we're both out. Had 7d6d not called preflop, I'd have won at showdown over the AI player.

Thoughts? Was this a bad spot to raise pre given my stack size? Player who limped screamed weakness to me, he'd open raised every other pot he'd played. As for the flop, does anyone like a shove even though the sidepot is zero and I have Q hi?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Borgata Summer Open 500+60

I don't like the play with your stack and the blinds. 1300 is barely 3xbb and seems way small for this spot.

Did you consider pushing after the ai and call by the limper? BB's shove(700 more) was more than half your raise (900) so I think this allowed and is probably your best play.

Pushing the flop is good when you get villan to fold a better queen and you've got some outs when called so maybe that is ok. Checking is defintely fine too hoping for a free showdown. But entering the pot here is meh and I think shove is better than a raise.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 AM

i fold pre without a read. u defo need a read for this move btw.

your raise needs to be bigger aswell, maybe 1500-1800 but i don't like this move short stacked with position because you run the risk off villain pushing into you postflop if you miss.

i would save this move for healthier stacks or when in the blinds and work out a raise that will give villain <2:1 on a push postflop if shortstacked.

After BB push i would push over cold call as your not going anywhere postflop

i think without a read fold >> push >> raise

with a read that say he's weak push >> raise >> fold

you need to see if you have much FE from the blinds and also include stack of villain
Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 AM

Villian to my knowledge started hand with maybe 9500, 10k. 2k was a fair amount of his stack.

Shoving preflop is a good point and probably the ideal play. To be honest, not sure if Borgata uses half bet or full bet, but, this was something I should have considered.

Don't have much of an option once it becomes 2k with a caller. However, agree that I could have open raised more, to perhaps 1400-1600, although this likely leads to the same result. Other thoughts appreciated!