Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: easy, healthy recipe ideas

We're just different. When I bother dipping, I usually dip a lot, at least for a while until my taste buds get saturated. Then I can go just on the memory of the flavor and be happier because I've overdone it for the first half of the dish. Then I pile it on again. If there's a sauce, I almost always run out. But when I make a salad, I don't need much dressing at all.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 PM

Yeah we're just a bit different. Although I think the thickness of the dressing/sauce has a lot to do with it. It is very easy to pour just a bit of vinaigrette over a salad but becomes more difficult if you are using something thick like a ranch or blue cheese (whether it be full fat or not). So anyway, I think we're just talking around each other a bit but there is nothing wrong with the recipe as posted b/c I did include the disclaimer of using low fat/no fat dressings as an option.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:12 PM

froz/fresh chicken breasts are pretty versatile. i love chicken so i regularly will make a meal of grilled chicken + a side (fresh asparagus, brown rice, corn on the cob, fresh green beans). i also swap salmon in a night or two a week, though eating salmon regularly isn't exactly cheap (but is delicious).

i cook numerous chx breasts up at a time and will save some for other things the next day or two. i buy prebagged light ceaser salads and will have chicken ceasers, and sometimes throw the ceaser in a wheat tortilla for a wrap. also i'll make egg beaters omelettes with onion/jalapeno/tomato/chicken occasionally.

any of those things above + some strawberries/grapes/blueberries/peaches/bananas as snacks keeps me satisified.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:23 PM

I'm a big fan of cooking a bunch of stuff up in advance too. Stews, spaghetti sauce, chicken, whatever.

Re: salmon prices, unless you're getting the kind caught in the wild, it's almost always on sale somewhere. Every store has a weekly sale, too, so if one doesn't have it, another either does or will soon. I've pretty regularly gotten it at around half price just by checking the newspaper ads, or wandering into the store and seeing the sale. When that happens, I buy a huge bunch of it, cuz I love the stuff, and freeze it up and slowly go through it. It can wind up surprisingly cheap that way.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 PM

I know these are pretty standard, but imo they're very good tasting and i eat them almost daily:

breakfast:
2 eggs, 2 egg whites - ~180 calories
4oz lean ground beef - 160 calories
1-2 slices wheat toast - 100-200 calories

Adding the two egg whites really increases the size of the meal while having two yolks in there allows the egg to still taste good.

3oz whole wheat pasta -- 300 cals
1/2 cup pasta sauce -- 50 cals
then either:
4oz lean ground beef - 160 cals, 20g protein
or
150grams grilled chicken breast ~150 cals, close to 20g protein

this is about 500 cals, a bit bigger than what some people advocate for meals, but i've found that this lunch really fills me up and helps me hit my caloric goal. if you feel that its too big for one meal you can always drop to 2oz pasta, eat it without sauce, lower the chicken.

as far as preparation goes, the only thing I do is prepare the meat, then add the pasta sauce and throw a [censored] of hot sauce and pepper into the pan. Takes ~10-15 minutes to make (spaghetti boils a lot faster than most other noodle variations)
Old 09-28-2007, 04:17 PM

Here are 101 simple meals.

Take your pick.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/dining/18mini.html?

Especially considering the over abundance of grilled chicken in this forum.

jb