Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

[ QUOTE ]
It's much easier to recruit when you're on national television more than Leave It To Beaver and ridiculously overrated on an annual basis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
having a very lucrative national TV deal. there is absolutely no excuse for this program to not be elite.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is surely a HUGE + for ND. I don't want nor mean to be making excuses. These are just a couple of the weights ND has to carry when recruiting.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's much easier to recruit when you're on national television more than Leave It To Beaver and ridiculously overrated on an annual basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't blame ND for being overrated.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't blame ND for being overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I could hate them for whining about recruiting disadvantages.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to like them. But I haven't heard anyone that officially represents ND (players, coaches, etc.) whining about it.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:33 PM

Even subpar ND recruiting classes are far better than good classes from any Big10 schools other than the top 3 (OSU, PSU, Michigan), any Pac 10 schools other than USC, most of the SEC or any of the Big East.

Is there one of those conferences that this year's ND team would stand a chance in?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 PM

ND is to blame for being overrated. They promote themselves as an elite program, insist on special BCS rules/considerations, play under thier own television contract, and earn way more money than anyone else. Without question, they can be hardcore negotiators due to thier legacy importance. I don't fault them for getting as much money as possible, but the public will notice and react when the team is down.

Weis / Willingham issue - hmmm, Weis was a genius b/c he could win w/ a full team of Ty's guys. Wonder why he can't win on a team that is over 50% of his recruits w/ the remainder being Ty's? (Keep in mind, he's already won w/ TW's recruits.)

I also think CW is responsible for a lot of the backlash. He's tried to position himself to be loved by the ND Nation but unless there are wins, his rhetoric is meaningless. He was also very quick to take credit for earlier success, which was predicated on "progress" not "success". In Weis' tenure, ND loses when the play an elite team, have a 50/50 record when playing a decent team, and beat poor teams (the Acadamies, Purdue, et at)

Dwayne Crist will be a good qb, but he's only as good as the offense around him and coaching.
Crist will have to sit behind Jimmy C. ND should be targeting Matt Barkely, Mater Dei's qb. If that high school sounds familiar, it should - it's the alma mater of Heisman winners John Huarte (ND) and Matt Leinart (USC). And yes... this high school has two heisman trophy winners whereas ucla only has one.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:40 PM

It isn't the cold winters that scare top recruits away from Notre Dame. It's the way they screwed Ty Willingham and, to a lesser extent, Demetrius Jones. The fact of the matter is that Notre Dame sent a huge message that they don't respect the Black Man. That's a tough stigma to overcome.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to like them. But I haven't heard anyone that officially represents ND (players, coaches, etc.) whining about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cold weather, catholic, admissions, misdirection of recent coaches-- I'm not sure what I missed in the litany of excuses.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there one of those conferences that this year's ND team would stand a chance in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I think ND could struggle a bit playing Div. 2 schools this year.