Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Parenting tip for vegans: please feed the baby vital macronutrient

I'm actually fasting right now; I'm hoping it will clear up my psoriasis. After I'm done fasting, I'm going to try a vegatarian diet. Although I've never understood why people think raw food is any better than than cooked veggies. The nutritional content is going to be pretty much the same; nearly all of the nutrients in veggies are insensitive to heat.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The kid died of malnutrition period. From things I've read, fruits and vegitables contain all of the nutrients your body needs.

I eat meat, but I believe that a vegan diet is the most healthy way to live life. Some of the strongest animals on earth are vegiterians. Once you start cooking meat (or any food) you loose a lot of the nutrients, so I don't even look as cooked meat as being that healthy.

Cows milk... I try not to drink it. Why would I want to drink something that's genetically meant for a 400lb'ish baby animal with the brain the size of a walnut?

Those parents who killed their baby from starvation are just a couple of crack pots. You can easily raise a healthy baby as a vegan. I just can't believe they didn't feed the baby breast milk!

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you reading that you honestly believe this? do you also follow the raw movement?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read lots of things, but some of the things I mentioned above are mentioned in Stanley Burroughs "The Master Cleanse."

Regarding raw food, I think raw food is much healthier than cooked food. This is why I like to juice fruits and vegtables.

However, I eat stuff cooked too.

I live life to enjoy it, not be healthy. However, some of the healthy things I do allow me to enjoy life a little more by feeling good.

I enjoy steak; I don't enjoy fasting but I do it becase it makes me feel better in the long run and allows me to enjoy life a little more.

I really enjoy shell fish, but I don't eat it because it's unhealthy for you. Same with pigs.

If I was 100% focused on health then yes, I would be part of the raw food movement.

[/ QUOTE ]

what nutrients do you think are lost in cooking food?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 PM

Soy milk and apple juice, lmao.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The kid died of malnutrition period. From things I've read, fruits and vegitables contain all of the nutrients your body needs.

I eat meat, but I believe that a vegan diet is the most healthy way to live life. Some of the strongest animals on earth are vegiterians. Once you start cooking meat (or any food) you loose a lot of the nutrients, so I don't even look as cooked meat as being that healthy.

Cows milk... I try not to drink it. Why would I want to drink something that's genetically meant for a 400lb'ish baby animal with the brain the size of a walnut?

Those parents who killed their baby from starvation are just a couple of crack pots. You can easily raise a healthy baby as a vegan. I just can't believe they didn't feed the baby breast milk!

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you reading that you honestly believe this? do you also follow the raw movement?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read lots of things, but some of the things I mentioned above are mentioned in Stanley Burroughs "The Master Cleanse."

Regarding raw food, I think raw food is much healthier than cooked food. This is why I like to juice fruits and vegtables.

However, I eat stuff cooked too.

I live life to enjoy it, not be healthy. However, some of the healthy things I do allow me to enjoy life a little more by feeling good.

I enjoy steak; I don't enjoy fasting but I do it becase it makes me feel better in the long run and allows me to enjoy life a little more.

I really enjoy shell fish, but I don't eat it because it's unhealthy for you. Same with pigs.

If I was 100% focused on health then yes, I would be part of the raw food movement.

[/ QUOTE ]

what nutrients do you think are lost in cooking food?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure offhand. I'm sure if one would google around you'd find some studies on it.

IIRC, all those juices you see come out of food when you cook it are packed with nutrients. So I guess if you drank the juice from the cooked food and ate it, then you'd get all of the foods nutrients.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:04 PM

There are certain foods that lose nurtritional value from cooking, there are other foods that dont have as much nutritional value if not cooked (because our body cant process it), there are no generaliziations. A lot of the veggies/vegans in this thread are following something that is fairly major as far as your life goes, and they have no [censored] clue what they are talking about, which is hilarious.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the veggies/vegans in this thread are following something that is fairly major as far as your life goes, and they have no [censored] clue what they are talking about, which is hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine this is true of most people regarding what they eat, so it doesn't seem like the most compelling criticism to me.

As far as life sentences for these people go, I don't think that's right. If they did this to somebody else's child, or ran a daycare or something like that, you could make a stronger case for it, in my opinion. As is, putting them away isn't really protecting society from dangerous hippies. And while I think a certain element of retributive justice is probably a good thing, these people lost their own child. That's a pretty harsh [censored] sentence from the getgo. And I seriously doubt that jail is the disincentive that others will need to try not to starve their kids.

What I'm curious about is two things:

Where were their doctors in all of this? Maybe they didn't have any. (The article says they refused to take their baby to the doctor while he was wasting away - I'm inclined to think they were just clueless. I don't know what the schedule is for checkups immediately following birth, but six weeks isn't very long.) But, I would guess that if they did have prenatal care, it seems reasonable to assume that their veganism would have come up. If so, I'd think that the doctors would have some things to say on this front as far as what they should do when the baby is born. While they were obviously guided by their vegan beliefs, I would be surprised if they knew better and just decided "[censored] them. We're doing this our way."

Soy milk? Do vegan principles preclude the drinking of human breast milk? Because if so that's completely and utterly idiotic.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I believe that a vegan diet is the most healthy way to live life

[/ QUOTE ]

total utter [censored]

it can be healthy, but its not the "most" healthy

a balanced diet including meat, other animal products is the most healthy for nearly everyone
Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are certain foods that lose nurtritional value from cooking, there are other foods that dont have as much nutritional value if not cooked (because our body cant process it), there are no generaliziations.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to http://www.rawfoods.com/articles/rawfreshproduce.html:

"It is well understood and recognized in scientific literature that heat breaks down vitamins, amino acids and produces undesirable cross-linkages in proteins, particularly in meat. "

Here it seems that heat is prejudice against vitamins, amino acids and proteins, not against certain foods.

It then goes on to say:

"When food is cooked above 117 degrees F for three minutes or longer, the following deleterious changes begin, and progressively cause increased nutritional damage as higher temperatures are applied over prolonged periods of time:  proteins coagulate,  high temperatures denature protein molecular structure, leading to deficiency of some essential amino acids,  carbohydrates caramelize..."

As far as cooking aids in digestion, I've heard that before-that's why I think it's best to juice fruits and vegetables. Though I'd be interested to see a study where they weigh the amount of nutrients lost due to cooking vs the absorbtion rate of raw foods.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM

I imagine this is true of most people regarding what they eat, so it doesn't seem like the most compelling criticism to me.

The reason I think it is more valid of a criticism is because vegans/etc argue their point and spout off about how healthy they are. Most of the population has no idea how to eat correctly, but when called out on it they arent arguing they are healthy, they just say "well, ya, I dont know how to eat healthy, but I dont care".
Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason I think it is more valid of a criticism is because vegans/etc argue their point and spout off about how healthy they are. Most of the population has no idea how to eat correctly, but when called out on it they arent arguing they are healthy, they just say "well, ya, I dont know how to eat healthy, but I dont care".

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, fair enough.