Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: bcs championship game??

Every year we say the same thing but if it is true it can be said every year, it is BS that teams are sitting at home with a chance to move into a title game while other teams are having to play a conference champ game--which is obv against a tough opp.

For instance, Mizzou has beat Ill. something tOSU couldn't do, beat #2 Kansas a better win than anything on tOSU's schedule yet if they lose in the BIG XII Championship game while tOSU is at home they are out and tOSU is in. The thing that is important is that Mizzou's only two losses would be to an outstanding OU team. Obv Mizzou has earned a title game over tOSU but has to bang heads with the #9 team in the country yet again, to prove what?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obv Mizzou has earned a title game over tOSU but has to bang heads with the #9 team in the country yet again, to prove what?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, if they lose to the #9 team in the country TWICE, they probably don't deserve the NC game. What does it matter when OSU played their games? Their schedule ends early because the B10 teams generally play an OOC game on their bye week so everyone can go home for Thanksgiving. They played the same number of games.

I probably shouldn't be calling KU a lock because that implies 100% sure, but I do project they will go regardless of what happens Saturday.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every year we say the same thing but if it is true it can be said every year, it is BS that teams are sitting at home with a chance to move into a title game while other teams are having to play a conference champ game--which is obv against a tough opp.

For instance, Mizzou has beat Ill. something tOSU couldn't do, beat #2 Kansas a better win than anything on tOSU's schedule yet if they lose in the BIG XII Championship game while tOSU is at home they are out and tOSU is in. The thing that is important is that Mizzou's only two losses would be to an outstanding OU team. Obv Mizzou has earned a title game over tOSU but has to bang heads with the #9 team in the country yet again, to prove what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still believe that no team should be allowed into the BCS championship game unless they win their conference bid. Why should Missouri get a place in the title game if they can't even win their own conference? There might be a case that Oklahoma would deserve the title game more than Ohio State, but certainly not Missouri if they lose.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if they lose to the #9 team in the country TWICE, they probably don't deserve the NC game. What does it matter when OSU played their games? Their schedule ends early because the B10 teams generally play an OOC game on their bye week so everyone can go home for Thanksgiving. They played the same number of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously they don't deserve the title game if they lose to OU twice (if anything OU should at least be mentioned), that wasn't the point at all. The point is that tOSU isn't playing Ill in the Big 10 Championship game (w/ a chance to lose to them twice as well). Amount of games doesn't matter, I mean if you want to count Kent State thrown in the middle of tOSU's schedule to justify the same amount of games as Mizzou playing a conference championship game against a BCS caliber team then I think we need to re-examine our line of thinking.

No matter how you dice it, conferences playing conference championship games are at a severe handicap--you simply can't argue this.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your leaving Missouri out of it completely if they play OU close but lose. They go from #1 to out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I am. Kansas only fell to 5th when they lost and I predict Missouri will fall further than that if they lose. 1 loss Kansas > 2 Loss Missouri.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Unless Kansas can get up to #4 in the BCS somehow. 2 Losses to the same team > 1 loss to Missouri. It wouldn't surprise me that the BCS would screw this up, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of scenario has happened in the SEC several times. It almost always plays out like iron is describing.

2001, for example. Tennessee lost the SEC championship and ended up in the citrus bowl while florida got the at-large BCS bid.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still believe that no team should be allowed into the BCS championship game unless they win their conference bid. Why should Missouri get a place in the title game if they can't even win their own conference? There might be a case that Oklahoma would deserve the title game more than Ohio State, but certainly not Missouri if they lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, under this "must win conference" rule, who do you put in there if both WVA and Mizzou lose next week? OSU vs. Hawaii?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM

And I say TS for the conferences with CG's. They decided to do it because it brought exposure and more money. Unfortunately, these games have a downside too. They're perfectly free to forgo the money and exposure (florida benefited last year) and find a way to crown a champion in a 12-team league, or make the league smaller. But they made a choice, it had upsides and downsides, and now they want to cry about it? You want the benefits you pay the costs.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously they don't deserve the title game if they lose to OU twice (if anything OU should at least be mentioned), that wasn't the point at all. The point is that tOSU isn't playing Ill in the Big 10 Championship game (w/ a chance to lose to them twice as well). Amount of games doesn't matter, I mean if you want to count Kent State thrown in the middle of tOSU's schedule to justify the same amount of games as Mizzou playing a conference championship game against a BCS caliber team then I think we need to re-examine our line of thinking.

No matter how you dice it, conferences playing conference championship games are at a severe handicap--you simply can't argue this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the handicap argument. I think the Conference Championship Game is a horrible addition. Look how much difference you can get in schedules- Kansas avoids Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech- the three best teams in the South. Of course, they end up finishing up doing extremely well. Iowa State has to play all three, and ends up doing extremely poorly.

I also don't like the idea of missing teams in your own conference, like the Big 10 does. I really like the Pac-10's true round robin system. There are still benefits like playing certain teams at home vs. away, but its clearly the fairest and the best way to do things. I could understand a championship game only if you never played teams in the other division or if only your divisional record mattered for determining who wins each division. Let's look at the SEC and Big 12 to see how this would work out:

SEC East:
Florida 4-1
Tennessee 4-1
Georgia 3-2
South Carolina 2-3
Kentucky 1-4
Vandy 1-4

SEC West:
LSU 5-1
Arkansas 3-2
Mississippi State 3-2
Auburn 3-2
Alabama 2-3
Mississippi 0-6

Big XII South:
Oklahoma 5-1
Texas Tech 3-2
Texas A&M 3-2
Texas 3-2
Oklahoma State 2-3
Baylor 0-5

Big XII North:
Missouri 5-0
Kansas 4-1
Colorado 2-3
Nebraska 2-3
Iowa State 2-3
Kansas State 1-4

This is much more in line with how good the teams really are (or at least what they accomplished).

In an ideal world, each conference will have 10 teams max (or 10 teams max per division & a conference championship game). Conferences with only 10 teams have a conference super-championship with another conference. This plays very well into the bowls and serves as a mini-playoff. They play true round robins and the champion emerges.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, under this "must win conference" rule, who do you put in there if both WVA and Mizzou lose next week? OSU vs. Hawaii?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oklahoma, USC, LSU/Tennessee are more deserving than Hawaii in that order.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty results oriented, its just as likely that some team will be able to use the conference CG as one extra big win to vault themselves into the national title game. Its gotta be pretty close to neutral, except that teams who think they should be in the NCG should be LOOKING for games at the end of the season against good teams in order to prove themselves.