Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 01:15 AM

Default How to become a fan of college football.

I have been a casual fan of college football for most of my adult life. I enjoy watching the games when I can, and find them to be a lot of fun to watch, but I don't know much about the programs, or the players. I understand what I am seeing on the field, but little much else.

I can keep track of NFL teams because there are not too many of them, and for the most part, any turnover on a team comes from the draft, or known players switching teams.

What I wanna know is how do you hardcore fans stay on top of everything? There are over 100 teams, which change over ~25% of their rosters every year, and their replacements are pretty much unknowns. How can I make the jump from casual fan to knowledgeable one?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Re: How to become a fan of college football.

You don't have to know every player on every team. I personally watch every game that my alma mater plays and know the stars/notable players on the top teams in the nation and in the conference.

I would say most college football fans follow the general outline of:

1. Know all there is to know about your team.
2. Know as much about the teams in the national title hunt and in your conference as you want to.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:21 AM

You a gamer? Get the NCAA games and buy the name rosters. That's honestly a pretty good start.

Also, maybe reconsider the goal? I'm as big a KU football fan as there is, but I don't watch SportsCenter and I don't see too many other games due to being at KU games virtually every Saturday. Aside from Big 12 teams, and the few other teams I catch, I can't name much of anyone from anywhere.

I still find college football enjoyable without knowing who every guy is or knowing about every team. I guess I'd say pick some favorite teams or a conference and don't worry so much about what happens outside of that.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:22 AM

follow it more? i don't know, read about what happens every weekend on websites. sit on your couch all day watch every game on saturdays.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:47 AM

Watch a game like Boise St./OU last year, or LSU/Ark today, or hopefully MU/KU. If the Boise St./OU game doesn't get you hooked, you will never be a fan. (Fox replays it periodically.)
Old 11-24-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Watch a game like Boise St./OU last year, or LSU/Ark today, or hopefully MU/KU. If the Boise St./OU game doesn't get you hooked, you will never be a fan. (Fox replays it periodically.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am already a fan. I have been a fan of the Wolverines since I was in HS and they invited me to a camp. I just want to know how I can become a more informed fan.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
which change over ~25% of their rosters every year,

[/ QUOTE ]

really...who cares?
Are you telling me that you are better able to be a fan of the NFL because you know every single O-lineman and linebacker? That seems silly.
Very very few people know of all the players at the NFL level but many many people are fans.
Same goes for college football.
Almost every person who calls themselves a 'fan' of college football only knows the names of a very small percentage of the players.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:00 AM

be in the band ldo
Old 11-24-2007, 02:04 AM

most people know their own teams, their rival teams and the top 25 teams (or less) and can't even name players... i'm a big CFB fan but i can't name one alabama player outside wilson. maybe a few guys on tennessee etc... and doubt i could name 20 guys in total on the bottom 60 NCAA teams. i really just love the energy of the game and the fans.

devour all the magazines at the start of the year. the big ones are obvious. but also phil steele's magazine is amazing... collegefootballnews.com is great too.....

i absolutely love NCAAF even though i'm up here in canada with no espn and no alumni or local team. In toronto, i somewhat adopted rutgers (when they were terrible) and now trying to do same with UBuffalo.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:08 AM

GoldenRhino,
One big problem is that in Canada it requires a ton of effort to keep track of recruiting and we get a pretty limited amount of games. I would suggest following one conference I guess Big Televen and than following the big national stories. If you didn't already follow Michigan, I would suggest follwing the SEC since it is better football and we get a similar amount of games.