Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Do you want to have children?

Having children is like signing up to an MLM, the amount of initial work you have to put in is not worth the minute benefits you'll reap in the future.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having children is like signing up to an MLM, the amount of initial work you have to put in is not worth the minute benefits you'll reap in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Projecting much?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:46 PM

I'd be interested if someone could name specific benefits of having children.

So far I've seen an argument about my genes but that doesn't really matter to me.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So far I've seen an argument about my genes but that doesn't really matter to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Benefit: They mow the lawn
Benefit: Some become rich rappers and hook you up
Old 11-17-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have some good friends who are in their early sixties. They are both wealthy profesionals who chose their lifestyle over having children. They now admit that it was the biggest mistake of their lives and that they could not have foreseen how it would effect them in later life.

I myself have always been opposed to the idea of having children, but for different reasons. I'm 36 and have seen my friends from school marry unwisely, have children and then lose them. The most important factor for me in deciding to have children is my future partner. I need somebody whom I know that I can trust and who will be a good mother for my children.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have some good friends who are in their early sixties. They are both wealthy profesionals who chose their lifestyle over having children. They now admit that it was the biggest mistake of their lives and that they could not have foreseen how it would effect them in later life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do they regret their decision? Specifically why do they feel their life is worse because of the choice they made?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:33 PM

I'm 22 and find myself thinking about this topic off and on, so far I think that a gene pool packed full of heart problems/diabetes/mental disorders.
+ the desire not to have to work until I'm too old to make good use of my time. = no kids.

Not to mention how terrible kids and people in general seem to be getting, so by the time I'm ready to have one the odds of public school turning my kid into a hellraiser could be pretty high. I'm in a pessimistic phase lately though, I expect my mind to change about it as I get older and more settled, I've considered the benefits but I doubt you can really understand them unless you actually go through having a kid.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:40 PM

Being 30, I think about this a lot. On one hand, I have no desire at all to turn my life into a day care. I have no desire to be around babies. On the other hand, I would like to teach and watch them grow and learn. So far the no kids side is winning....by quite a lot :-P We'll see.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:41 PM

weird. as far back as i can remember the most important thing to me in terms of what i wanted from the future was to have children and to bring them up well. i'm nowhere near ready yet but it's basically what i'm working towards in my life in general.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:46 PM

I've always known that I wanted to have kids even when I was 18 or 20 or whatever. But the timing was never right.
Now I'm 37 and my feelings are pretty much the same. Want them mostly as much as I did 15-20 years ago but it still feels weirdly like I'm not ready or I'm too young or something.

GF and I will continue traveling around for a year or two and will probably have a kid after that. I'll probably be 40 and she'll be 33.
I already feel weird about being a first-time Dad at 40 and I guess my greatest concern is whether I'll have the energy for it.
I like my sleep and get cranky when I don't get enough of it.

Chances are that it might end up being just a little bit easier though as we'll probably be living near by parents and her parents will also likely be moving to the area so I think we might end up wrestling with 4 different doting grandparents just to get any amount of time with the little bugger.