Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you get out and walk her to the doorstep?
Yes 44 86.27%
No 7 13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Could you speed walk a mile in 10min??? Drunk Prop Bet.

voters saying impossible,

What do you think is the limiting factor here? Endurance? Being DQ'ed for "running" for one step? Or just that walking that fast isn't possible?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 PM

I'll be videotaping it so if I think he breaks form or whatever I can show him after its done (if he even completes in under 10). If we both don't agree then I can just show it to a third party and explain them the rules and they can make a judgement call.

I just tried calling him and I think hes still sleeping, was a long night last night for the both of us.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What do you think is the limiting factor here? Endurance? Being DQ'ed for "running" for one step? Or just that walking that fast isn't possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, walking that fast is definitely not impossible.
Speed-walkers can easily do that.
For someone untrained in speed-walking though it's too fast.

I'm familiar with how fast someone needs to move to run a 9-10 minute mile because that's roughly my pace if I run for longer than 1 mile and I just don't think it's as slow a pace as this guy thinks.

It's pretty slow compared with some guy booking around the track in under 6 minutes obviously. But this is NOT a regular walking pace and isn't really even close.
I'm thinking this guy thinks just a brisk walk would be close to a 10-minute mile and I just don't believe that's correct.

If he does this without practicing at all and has no idea what the pace needs to be it is my guess that he's going to start out walking relatively fast thinking that he's doing just fine and that after the first lap he's already going to be at 3+ mins and will not be able to recover. I might be wrong though. Maybe he takes a watch with him so he can monitor his pace and give himself a chance.

But that's a big key to this. He has never done it before and has very little idea exactly what a 10-minute-mile pace is.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:17 PM

I think its close
Old 10-28-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking this guy thinks just a brisk walk would be close to a 10-minute mile and I just don't believe that's correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hike/walk about 4 miles a day. I walk at a fairly brisk pace and I do 16 minute miles. 10 minutes is impossible unless you are an experienced speed walker. I doubt I could go much faster then 15 minute miles without breaking into a jog.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
"Impossible" is a poor word choice for those of us who don't think he's got a shot, but it's the only one up there. Of course it's physically possible, but without practice, form, being in shape, etc, he's not going to make it. I don't think any average person would; you'd have to blunder into the bet against an actual speed walker to fear losing it.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt I could go much faster then 15 minute miles without breaking into a jog.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a track trying to go for speed? I hike trails at ~15 min/mile and 10 min/mile is a slow, slow running pace, like running up a very steep grade, and I'm quite sure it wouldn't be that hard to speedwalk for just 1 mile on a level surface.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:33 PM

I used to run 6 miles three times a week when I was in the army. Took me close to an hour. Do the math.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a track trying to go for speed? I hike trails at ~15 min/mile and 10 min/mile is a slow, slow running pace, like running up a very steep grade, and I'm quite sure it wouldn't be that hard to speedwalk for just 1 mile on a level surface.

[/ QUOTE ]

For all of you that think this way, just go to a track or measure out a mile on a nice flat surface and see if you can get close to a 10 minute mile. After all, by your logic it should only take you 10 minutes to do this.

And to back up my words I'll go try it right now.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For all of you that think this way, just go to a track or measure out a mile on a nice flat surface and see if you can get close to a 10 minute mile. After all, by your logic it should only take you 10 minutes to do this.

And to back up my words I'll go try it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try it this week.