Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Get your n00b out, uNL--Volume 2

Question 1a: What is the best way of posting a screenshot from PokerTracker?

Question 1b: I still can't figure out how to link to another post. How do you do it?

<font color="green">1. Right click and Save on your PT image. It'll save to your desktop. Open up imageshack (google it). Hit browse on the imageshack page. Click on the image you want to host. Click host it. Bottom link on that new page will be the link to your image. Make a post here. Click "Image" below the box where you are making your post. Paste in that link from the imageshack page.

2. Simplest way is to just copy and paste the link and post it. You don't have to use that "link" feature. Though you can paste it into the link feature and add a name for you link.
</font>
Old 10-24-2007, 06:18 PM

whats a good line to take on scary boards wih an overpair? i generally default to c/c down which is pretty good in tournaments with short stacks and bluffy opponents but really sucks with deep stacks against unknowns. thanks for doing this btw

<font color="blue">I think its really opponent and board texture dependent. </font>

<font color="red"> As simple as this answer seems, its really all that can be said here. You cant really generalise the situation to the point where you can have a line to take every time, it depends on so many things. Think about your opponents tendencies, and what you want to happen, then bet your money so that it does happen.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Question 2: I feel that my biggest problem with playing online is that I always feel like if I don't figure out what to do correctly, I'm going to run out of time. It is obviously different on the forums, where you can spend minutes analyzing a hand and figuring out the correct play. There is so much to take into consideration when playing any hand that I always seem to forget something. I kind of equate it to "test anxiety". Has any of the moderators experienced this (or still experience it) and how did you overcome this problem?

<font color="blue">I dont really have any suggestion other than beginning to plan your hand when you raise it and what you want to achieve on certain flop textures </font>

<font color="red">When I first started multi-tabling I was awful at it, and was constantly timing out. Now, I play 6 tables and almost never time out. Two main things helped me:

1. Realise that you have much more time than you think. Most people try and fold their hands as soon as the hole cards appear, and generally try and take every action asap. Just slow your tempo down a little. Count to three before you do anything on a hand. You'll find that you'll rarely time out, even though you've slowed down. Realising that its not nearly as hectic as you think is important.

2. Play simple. Most situations in poker dont require too much analysis. Learn to simpify your choices - this comes with experience. Once you have played many hands you'll know how to react without thinking just because you've been there so many times before.

3. Plan your moves. If you are playing a hand, nothing should come as a surprise for you. Say youre on the flop, and youre betting. Whilst waiting for him to decide what to do, think "if he calls here, I will do X, if he raises, i will do X" etc etc. Think ahead.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 PM

how do i calculate reverse implied odds? (i just mean the calculation, not the estimation.)

<font color="blue">Hmmm, I dont know if you actually can calcuate it, I think is more of a situation deal. </font>

<font color="red">RIO is a misnomer and cannot be calculated like "real" odds. It just means that "this hand is gonna get real expensive for you".
Old 10-24-2007, 06:47 PM

not sure if this is the spot or wut...

have the well threads been banned or has there just been no interest from good players to do them??? if that is the case would one of a few of u mods pull some strings and get one or 2 sick players to host a well in unl?!?!!?

<font color="blue">Most good players have done one already. Any suggestions ill ask. </font>

<font color="red">uNL is short of "regulars" at the mo. We cant just stick any old noob in there yaknow. Feel free to request a poster you would like to see in the well.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:50 PM

I know I'm supposed to be figuring out pot odds and implied odds but when I playing there doesn't seem like enough time. Am I just slow? Is this something the other players do every hand?

<font color="orange">I am completely awful at pot odds and such. I guess I just have a 'feel' of what is right and what is wrong. And these dumb calcs in my head usually leads me to a wrong decision every now and then. basically, just think about EV calcs and stove the ranges. fimbulwinter wrote some great posts that can be found in the SSNL master sticky. gl! </font>

<font color="red">Im like orange. Dont sweat it. I estimate that in an hour I would make maybe one or two pot odds calcs, and even then, they are approximate at best. Its really not as important as you think (though certainly not irrelevant!).

Also, I have NO IDEA IN HELL how to to EV calculations, and I still win at poker. So there ya go.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I'm supposed to be figuring out pot odds and implied odds but when I playing there doesn't seem like enough time. Am I just slow? Is this something the other players do every hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot odds is the price you are being offered: what you have to call relative to what is already in the pot. Implied odds is more of a loose estimation, a typical example would be that you are sure that if you hit your flush you will win all your opponents money, or you think your opponent has two aces preflop and you call with 44 because you are confident you will stack him if a 4 comes on the flop. If you think your opponent has T6s and is raising on the button, your implied odds aren't very good with 44 preflop
Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 PM

Thanks a ton for doing this.

I play well at the beginning of a session (I'm around 8BB/100 over the last 15k hands), but the moment things start to go poorly I start tilting, first subtly and then become really retarded aggro against everyone. I spew off a couple buyins at least every third session. The upshot is that I have massive swings and my graph looks like a lollercoaster with 6 BI up or downswings in less than 1k hands in my graph being totally standard. Here are the hands I have on this computer, all at 25 NL and fairly representative of how things are going: http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=25nlhl8.jpg
I've been grinding microstakes for about 25k hands and I have the talent, technical skill, and the roll to move up, but tilt problems (and thus confidence issues) make that seem like a bad idea. Do you have any advice so that I can overcome this hurdle?

<font color="orange">No easy answer here. it could be your playing style or a myriad of other variables here. Just continue to focus and play solid poker, try your hardest not to spew. </font>

<font color="red">Psych is so important in poker that they have their own forum. Id suggest you check it out - its on the sidebar there. You need to make peace with yourself and stop yourself tilting or you will fail at poker, no question. I struggle with this also but I am so much better than I used to be. When I feel im tilting I just instaclose my client. Sometimes I'll even kill it from the task manager to avoid having to close individual tables. Just get out of there.

Getting sucked out is something you will have to come to terms with. I am also MUCH better at this now. You must learn to lose. One thing that really helped me is playing over-rolled. I just had a huge tourney score so I am way overrolled for 100nl, and atm I am practising some stuff at 50nl. So its almost like the money is irrelevant because I cant go bust. So when Im playing lag and I lose 3bi (like yesterday) it means nothing and I am unaffected. Playing within your roll is a good way to train yourself not to tilt.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 PM

recently there has been alot of buzz about "gator dollars" both here and in SSNL. While I thought Claytons posts were solid, I feel that they apply far more to NL$200 and up, were there are a ton more regs and people actually pay attention to your play. How concerned do you think an NL$10 - NL$50 player should be with earning "gator dollars?"

<font color="blue">Link PLS </font>

<font color="red">Seriously, lol at gator dollars. Id forget about it and just play good poker. The basic notion of gator dollars is that if you play like a moron you wont make any money. You dont need a name for that.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:36 PM

Is there a way for me to merge my PokerStars and PartyPoker graphs into one (using PokerGrapher)?

I'm finding that I'm not improving much. I think that I have to play more hands but apart from that I don't know what I can work on.

<font color="blue">You need to merge your names in the PTDB. Make one the alias for the other and then it will make them together. </font>
Closed Thread