Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Default No Internet

I use a wireless router to connect 3 computers to the internet. The two wired computers are working fine. The wireless one was working fine till about 2 hours ago.

The wireless computer claims to be connected to my wireless connection at 11.0Mbps but no data is being sent or received (Activity 278 sent and 108 received). No IE, Firefox, poker, Messenger etc.

When I check ipconfig everything seems good except

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : phub.net.cable.rogers.com

I don't use Rogers cable as an ISP so not sure where that came from.

Two days ago I was having issues with a windows popping up telling me that two computers had the same IP.

I have rebooted several times. Disabled the software firewall. Power cycled the router. Nothing.

I was also having issues with the MBR which I fixed yesterday but I don't see how that would be related.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: No Internet

When I checked the network connection I found that WEP had been turned off. I turned it back on and everything is fine now.

I know for a fact I never turned it off. Between this and the IP issue I'm starting to get concerned about security. Is this well founded concern or just paranoia?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 PM

It does sound sketchy. Have you set the password on your router? Do you have any roommates?

edit: Oh, [censored]! You're the IP Conflict guy? Damn straight you have security issues.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:18 PM

you shoould try WPA instead of WEP then, and use a pretty long passphrase and put some special characters in it. Change and hide your SSID too. No need to broadcast it.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM

No roommates.

I had a password on my router. When I found out WEP had been turned off on my laptop I just turned it back on. I did not have to re-enter the password.

I am the IP conflict guy. Like I said in the other thread I live in a high security building 28 floors up. I think that puts me out of wireless range from the street. Everyone on my floor or the floor below me is worth at least $10M so I can't see them as a source.

I'm running the various spyware software now. Spybot Seek and Destroy didn't find anything except some tracking cookies. Running AVG now.

I also reactivated COMODO and removed all the rules. Anything that wants outbound permission will have to get approved again.

I do have a process called iexplore.exe which I googled last week and was told it was part of Adclicker but none of the 4 spyware detectors has said anything about it.