Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Shoulders

jack,

this series of articles talks all about shoulder health at the gym and whatnot...

go to the bottom of this link for a bit about upright rows, but i suggest reading all 3 articles

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1055409
Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 PM

Yeah, that's a good series of articles. I've read a ton of stuff from physical therapy sites too and the most damaging common shoulder exercises are :

#1. upright rows - the absolute worst, shoulders are just not made to work in this position, the glenohumeral is 90 degrees twisted and then pinching under tension. Also hard on the wrists.

#2. deep bench presses with elbows out sideways - much safer with elbows properly tucked down along your ribs, also safer if you don't go all the way down

#3. squats - probably fine with healthy shoulders but it's a very bad compression position for the shoulder.

#4. militaries or lat pulldowns behind the head, especially with elbows out to the side - these are retarded and pointless, don't do them.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 PM

I did some Power Shrugs today, that felt like a pretty good thing, I might work that in somewhere.

It's so similar to deadlifting - should I do a move like that on my deadlift day, or my non-deadlift day? (in like a Rippetoe A/B style program)
Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
.can you do dislocates? If no it's flexibility

[/ QUOTE ]
I can do this. I can also do a good ohs with a broomstick. If I pick up one of those mini barbells that weigh 20 lbs or something, it is still pretty difficult. I think I just need to learn how to be more stable in the shoulders. I would eventually like to include these in a future program of mine. After that, I'd like to learn the snatch/power snatch.