Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 05:56 AM

Default KJs contbet trouble deep in $3re

Im new to the table and the villain.

Advice on play? Should I have folded/pushed flop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t10000 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t194480)
CO (t107592)
Button (t865914)
SB (t168271)
BB (t297000)
UTG (t278605)
UTG+1 (t88164)
MP1 (t168409)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t25000</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls t15000.

Flop: (t47000) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t30000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t60000</font>, Hero calls t30000.

Turn: (t167000) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t20000</font>, Hero calls t20000.

River: (t207000) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t20000</font>, Hero calls t20000.

Final Pot: t247000
Old 09-20-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Re: KJs contbet trouble deep in $3re

The better question is - should i fold it preflop? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As played I think you are in front most of the time.
This looks like an attempt to chase you off on the flop (where BB might interpret your bet as a c-bet).
I think your call on the flop is good.
On the turn you can consider a raise, as the BB bet is very weakish.
Call on the river is fine.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 AM

I raise more pre-flop I think, BB has great odds to call here with almost anything.

Flop fine, I think you are ahead, I don't really like a push over the top jsut because you are only called the few times you are behind.

Turn, that bet of his is weak. I think he's blocking with a weak hand. I'd be pretty confident this is a 6, or maybe a weakish king or lower pp. Slight chance he has KQ here.

I'm value betting turn and river.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 AM

i'm fine raising 25k here this deep. helps with pot control on later streets, but you're right that we don't get much FE from the blinds with this small raise. that's ok, we have a great hand.

i'd never open fold this preflop this late, btw. and i would have shoved the flop although that may be a mistake (I doubt it's a big one in a $3 rebuy)
Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 AM

Strange line by villain. I also have trouble putting low limit donks on a hand there. More often than not they show you a monster (flopped two pair or set), so I think your line is fine.

Those ultra-week bets by villain look like he wants to milk you a bit more .. he is either a donk with a weak hand or a donk with a monster and afraid of losing you. Either way, you are not getting called by a worse hand if you raise. Your hand has showdown value .. use the information on this hand to make notes and play the next hand against villain accordingly.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Strange line by villain. I also have trouble putting low limit donks on a hand there. More often than not they show you a monster (flopped two pair or set), so I think your line is fine.

Those ultra-week bets by villain look like he wants to milk you a bit more .. he is either a donk with a weak hand or a donk with a monster and afraid of losing you. Either way, you are not getting called by a worse hand if you raise. Your hand has showdown value .. use the information on this hand to make notes and play the next hand against villain accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think black's analysis is spot on here. OP's line maximizes winnings when ahead, and minimizes losses when behind. Doubt Villain will call a flop push with any hands (a few maybe) OP has beat. On a more drawy board, I'd push the flop though.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 AM

The flop looks like he raised a draw to shove you off a c-bet. The turn looks like his 45 soooted hit. Fwiw ... i think you played it fine...the only option is to r/r the flop and I don't know the player.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:07 AM

Flop I think he doesn't call a re-re-raise with a worse hand, but do you really think you cant get more value out of this hand on the turn or river? I really think that he's got a bit of a hand and will probably call a medium size bet on one or both streets.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:55 AM

He had KQ and I lost a huge chunk of my stack with this hand, only to bust out soon after. Good to hear you guys agree with my line though. Very strange betting by villain. Oh well, it is the 3re :P
Old 09-20-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn, that bet of his is weak. I think he's blocking with a weak hand. I'd be pretty confident this is a 6, or maybe a weakish king or lower pp. Slight chance he has KQ here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He had KQ and I lost a huge chunk of my stack with this hand, only to bust out soon after. Good to hear you guys agree with my line though. Very strange betting by villain. Oh well, it is the 3re :P

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think a value bet on the turn or river would have been good, results notwithstanding. The KQ was the very top of the range I think you should have been putting him on and you got unlucky.

i think there was more value to be had.