Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: The Make a Wish Foundation

[ QUOTE ]
For your next foolish rant, I suggest you discuss the merit of euthanizing all the poor as the easiest way to eliminate poverty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still maintain Jonathan Swift knew what he was talking about.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My company does media management for this organisation, so I have to read/write about it every other day.

To a terminally ill 4 year old, a visit to meet Mickey at Disneyland is far more life enriching than the hope that there might be a cure for cancer in 50 years' time.

Isn't your stance the same as saying "why not shut down state-financed hospices" - does quality of life become worthless once you're diagnosed with a terminal illness?

At a meta level, I understand where you're coming from, but don't think a little bit of kindness towards dying kids is money wasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in my view state sponsored hospices are way different than sending a kid to disney land. one is providing the very basic needs for a person to live on, one is "lavishing" a kid with gifts (even though, I dont have much of a problem with it). I know I sound liek a douche, but from a logical prespective, this is what I think, from an emmotional persepective give these kids whatever they want if people are willing to donate to it.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey moran, the people who give their money to Make-A-Wish understand how it will be used. Why shouldn't a kid dying of cancer get a trip to Disney World? His parents have most likely spent much of their life savings paying for the child's medical care and probably can't afford a trip to Disney World.

[/ QUOTE ]

And of course he realizes this. The entire argument comes down to one question: Is the emotional satisfaction of terminally ill children and their families worth more than other socially productive ways in which this money could be used? It's obviously a hard-hearted question to be asking, but I don't think it's entirely unfair. Obviously from this thread people will have different opinions on it. My take is that I don't think charitable contributions are zero-sum. I suspect many people contributing to Make a Wish are not looking to make a random charitable donation but particularly like its mission.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And of course he realizes this. The entire argument comes down to one question: Is the emotional satisfaction of terminally ill children and their families worth more than other socially productive ways in which this money could be used ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the government provided everyone with enough food and shelter to survive and took 100% of our wages, I bet a lot of diseases could be cured.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:56 PM

Obviously if there were infinite amounts of charitable contributions in the world I would think it was great, but if you assume the money would go to something else instead, then it seems really harmful to me. Also obviously I am in fact a heartless bastard.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And of course he realizes this. The entire argument comes down to one question: Is the emotional satisfaction of terminally ill children and their families worth more than other socially productive ways in which this money could be used ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the government provided everyone with enough food and shelter to survive and took 100% of our wages, I bet a lot of diseases could be cured.

[/ QUOTE ]

what?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:57 PM

"My wish is to keep on living!"

"Ooh, sorry Timmy we're not gonna be able to do that. Want to meet an NFL player instead?"
Old 08-16-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I'd much rather donate to the Make-A-Wish than to something like AIDS research. AIDS is a fully preventable disease. Many of these kids have terminal forms of cancer that they didn't contract by sharing needles or engaging in unprotected sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to the millions of kids who are BORN with AIDS and have no choice in the matter. or to the people whose backasswards third world churches or leaders tell them they can cure AIDS by having sex with virgins, that condoms don't work or are against god's will, etc.

jesus christ. AIDS is a terrible epidemic that could even further destabilize world health if it mutates and becomes more hardy.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also obviously I am in fact a heartless bastard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're the kind of person who enjoys shocking people by making statements that are completely cold and heartless. It gives you a little bit of joy to see people become uncomfortable when you say insensitive things.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:14 PM

I lost a cousin to leukemia a few years ago. He was 8 when he died. The people at the Make a Wish foundation are among the best people this world has to offer. It's more than just money. They are there for the parents when the horror of what they are going through is too much. There are many people inside the organization that have gone through it themselves, and they truly understand what it means to bury a child.

My guess is that you have no children. Being a father of two healthy children I am eternally grateful each and every day for that gift. I am also happy to know that at least there is some group out there whose sole reason for existing is to try to help out those who are not as lucky as me, and I humbly support them in whatever way I can.