Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

The more I've thought about this one, the more hands I come up with that call your river raise. Not just 1 pair hands like Ax, Kx, whatever (they shouldn't but might), but worse two pair hands that many players wouldn't think to raise preflop with in this scenario: KQ, KJ, QJ. I also believe that my initial response in this thread greatly overstated the ability of the average 3/6 player to bet/fold the river in a pot like this.

I'm still not sold on the river raise, at least not against an unknown, but I think it's a lot closer than my earlier reply might have made it sound.

(and the flip side of how bad it looks if you raise & fold to a 3bet after your line on the earlier streets is how utterly badass it looks if you value raise & get paid off by a worse hand).
Old 07-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Raise 2pr for value on 4-str8 board

what adds some complexity to our river spot is our openlimp. most any reasonable player will raise going first in with an ace or king in that preflop situation.

had we raised pf and proceeded to bet flop, etc., i feel like a raise would have less value. we would have represented a stronger hand in that scenario which would make it tough for alot of one pair hands to pay us off.

the limp pf, combined with the flop raise/turn check seems so odd that i think we get looked up here by quite a few top pair hands, and maybe even some strong kings. definitely two pair and unlikely sets. so i'm saying i guess i would raise the river as played, but i'm folding to a 3bet. if i'm afraid of someone is going to take shots, i'll just payoff later(truth be told, i'm such a showdown monkey these days that will take care of itself).