Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Running different cards in sli

I have a 256MB Geforce 7900GT and I'm buying another to run newer games at higher graphics. If I buy a 7950GT would these two work together, or does the card have to be the exact same model and from the same creator?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Running different cards in sli

[ QUOTE ]

I have a 256MB Geforce 7900GT and I'm buying another to run newer games at higher graphics. If I buy a 7950GT would these two work together?

[/ QUOTE ]

An almost certain no.

[ QUOTE ]

or does the card have to be the exact same model and from the same creator?

[/ QUOTE ]

There may have been progress in this regard, I am unsure. It is possible any other 7900GT (with the same core/memory clock settings) will work, although I wouldn't like to wager the price of a card on it.

In the early days of SLI when I was building systems with two cards, it was recommended to use perfectly identical cards - that meant same manufacturer / model / board revision/ same VGA BIOS even, and following these guidelines made stable systems.

Slight differences in VGA BIOS would make a working but crashy system, differences in board revision would make one that would work but not engage SLI mode, and different manufacturer/model was a no-go.

It was always claimed that such issues would be resolved as SLI matured - although it has been at least 18 months since I really looked in to it (My SLI experience is all with 6x generation cards) - I have no idea if the situation has improved at all - I'd think it unlikely on 7x generation cards, and a maybe on the 8x variants.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Running different cards in sli

Better solution IMO: Sell your current card and pay $300 (thats your card x 2) for a much better card. the 7900gt from what ive read runs most games at near max. just curious what game your having a problem with.