Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Help a decrepit old fart dropout choose a new path in life

Life report?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds as though you are talented but somewhat of a dilettante. I therefore suggest law: it requires some facility with thinking and writing but it doesn't really build on itself the way engineering disciplines do. And there are a wide variety of jobs available to someone with a law degree, even at 36 or however old you'd be after you got through with both your undergraduate and law degrees.

It'll seem like a long haul at your age, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the reply, Howard. My interest in some of those subjects is deeper than dilettante would imply, but I guess that's not an unfair assessment overall.

The law is an interesting suggestion. I intentionally left it out of my initial post. My girlfriend has been studying for the LSAT and, by helping her, I've discovered that the material on the LSAT is not really tough for me to handle but I am not really sure what I can do with a law degree that doesn't include 100 hour weeks as an associate somewhere.

I am not worried about the challenge of school or how long the haul will seem. I've overcome much worse in my life than returning to school. I would just like to leave school with a degree worth more than the paper it's printed on.

SpaceAce
Old 04-15-2007, 07:41 AM

If you want to use your degree to acquire a job, make sure you pick a field with the least ageism. Finance is pretty bad in terms of this. My guess is computer science is the most flexible, but even there you might have a tough time.

And there are jobs for lawyers with normal work hours, but salary is less obviously. And by the time you graduate your gf might help you get a job too.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:44 AM

First off, anyone telling you that you are too old to pursue a degree is wrong. You can always pursue a degree and most fields will still be wide open to you in your mid-thirties. Secondly, in 2012, inexorably, you will be thirty-five; with or without a degree is the only question.

IMO, before you decide what degree. I think you need to decide what are your priorities. For example, I don't want to make less than 70K per year and 100K is really the number I want to earn. More than that is nice. But, I don't necessarily need more. Therefore, social work is out, teaching at the k-12 level is out, etc.

After you decide on income level, then you can decide on whether you need to specialize. Doctor obv equals med school. But, selling insurance can be done with any degree. Most companies don't care what it's in, only that you have one.

Whether it's in sales, management or HR, if you want to work in the business world, there are many degree programs (traditional, on-line, accelerated) in management, marketing, bus. admin, etc. etc. All of these are good for that general career path.

Regarding your specific questions:

Engineering is solid. Architecture, specifically commercial architecture, requires little to no artistic skill. Most of the work is done on computers (Auto-Cad) and your inability to draw a circle is not a detriment. For that matter, your other interests and skills would be a huge benefit for any occupation in the construction world.

Commercial construction project managers earn excellent money; high-five figures and up. With your interests, this could be another option for you.

Some writing options could include technical writing or desk-top publishing (I don't know if this is still good or not. Back in the early 90's you could make 90-100k per year).

AS far as the sciences, I think that your options would be still be open. But, you would have to be sure your financial requirements were not in conflict with earning potential in whatever field you chose.

I definitely think some career counseling could be helpful even if it's just to confirm what you don't want to do.

Finally, (sorry this is so long) I definitely think that thirty is still young, yet you have the benefit of some life experience and maturity. You are in a great spot to be able to do some research and choose a new path.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:32 AM

First, a key question, and I know it has already been asked to some extent, but I want to get it on the table:

What are your precise financial needs and goals? Are you in a position (most likely do to having rich parents or relatives), where you can choose your career without money being a factor? If not, how important is money to you, and how much do you feel your annual income needs to be when your career has plateaued?

Now, a related question:

If money (or the potential to make a lot of money) is a big priority for you, are you willing to pursue a career that you may not enjoy as much as a much lower paying career?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to use your degree to acquire a job, make sure you pick a field with the least ageism. Finance is pretty bad in terms of this. My guess is computer science is the most flexible, but even there you might have a tough time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for those thoughts. Ageism is definitely on my mind and I am not too sure which fields have the biggest age barriers. Now I know finance may be one of them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SpaceAce
Old 04-15-2007, 08:46 AM

Thank you very much for this reply, BPA234. Your post is very thoughtful and very much the sort of thing I was hoping to see in this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, in 2012, inexorably, you will be thirty-five; with or without a degree is the only question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I've been telling myself. Especially when I feel like I might already be "too old"; I simply remind myself that five years from now I'll be older still and still not have a degree. That usually clears up my doubts.

[ QUOTE ]
Engineering is solid. Architecture, specifically commercial architecture, requires little to no artistic skill.

Commercial construction project managers earn excellent money; high-five figures and up. With your interests, this could be another option for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you again. I've wondered about architecture and engineering the most. On the rare occasions when my TV manages to get turned on, I simply cannot turn off any show about bridges or skyscrapers. I would probably pee my pants or die of dehydration if those shows didn't have commercials. I also find home floor plans fascinating.

"Construction project manager" is one of those jobs I would never have thought of on my own. I guess I have a vague notion that such a thing must exist, but I know nothing about it. I will definitely be visiting Google to find out what that job entails.

[ QUOTE ]
AS far as the sciences, I think that your options would be still be open. But, you would have to be sure your financial requirements were not in conflict with earning potential in whatever field you chose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am willing to sacrifice money for job satisfaction or to work in a field that interests me. I can always continue playing poker, programming applications/games and operating websites even if I take a job.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, (sorry this is so long)

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, not at all. I have nothing but appreciation for the effort you put into your reply. Thank you very much for the thoughtfulness. You actually made me feel a little more cheery about the whole thing and clued me in on at least two things that may help me out.

SpaceAce
Old 04-15-2007, 08:53 AM

hey, assuming you are tired of poker, i would just ( i sat here for 5 mins thinking up things i've done/will do, and noting will fit for you sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
good luck to you though, i like this attitude of doing something new

what exactly is wrong with the internet adult industry?

i think you need to have a story thread to repay OOT for these nice replies,

oh fwiw, i wouldn't get a finance degree, it's pretty tough to do it at your age and it's nothing as easy as the pursuit of happYness....
Old 04-15-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First, a key question, and I know it has already been asked to some extent, but I want to get it on the table:

What are your precise financial needs and goals? Are you in a position (most likely do to having rich parents or relatives), where you can choose your career without money being a factor? If not, how important is money to you, and how much do you feel your annual income needs to be when your career has plateaued?

Now, a related question:

If money (or the potential to make a lot of money) is a big priority for you, are you willing to pursue a career that you may not enjoy as much as a much lower paying career?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have specific financial goals. If I were to give up all other forms of income for a standard job, I would want to be able to comfortably support myself. To me, comfortably means a modest home, one or two vehicles, enough money to raise a child or two (at least when combined with my spouse's income) and enough spending cash to eat out and go out with friends regularly. All this while socking away a little something in my 401(K). Again, that's assuming I make no money from anything other than my job which is not likely.

As for job vs. money, in general, the more I like the job, the less I am willing to accept in pay down to a certain point. I'm simply not going to reenter the workforce to make $10/hour.

SpaceAce
Old 04-15-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey, assuming you are tired of poker, i would just ( i sat here for 5 mins thinking up things i've done/will do, and noting will fit for you sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
good luck to you though, i like this attitude of doing something new

what exactly is wrong with the internet adult industry?

i think you need to have a story thread to repay OOT for these nice replies,

oh fwiw, i wouldn't get a finance degree, it's pretty tough to do it at your age and it's nothing as easy as the pursuit of happYness....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that's two for "no finance", which is OK with me since I'm not dying to work in that field or anything.

There's a LOT wrong with the adult industry in my view. There's way too much to go into here, but the gist of it is I don't like the direction the industry is heading. I feel like many of the negative stereotypes about the industry are actually becoming true and I'm tired of the scene.

SpaceAce