Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

View Poll Results: Check or push
Check 3 15.00%
Push 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Re: In what order should my child watch the Star Wars movies?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it is my opinion that the new prequals actually offer very little in terms of elaborating on the episodes 4-6. To me, the two trilogies are so disjointed from each other that I consider them two separate trilogies altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.

The thing that bothers me most about 1-3 is the terrible performances Lucas gets from some excellent actors.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, it is my opinion that the new prequals actually offer very little in terms of elaborating on the episodes 4-6. To me, the two trilogies are so disjointed from each other that I consider them two separate trilogies altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.

The thing that bothers me most about 1-3 is the terrible performances Lucas gets from some excellent actors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucas is a storyteller, not a director of actors. The acting, save for harrison ford, in the original star wars trilogy, is just as wooden, IMO.

Lucas is famous for such directing tidbits as "say it faster". Such is the extent to which he works with actors. The thing I find more odd is that he was able to get good performances out of his cast in American Graffiti.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:29 PM

Reverse chronological order?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the difficulty, I think, was the extent to which blue screen was used. There seems to have been very little in the way of sets for the actors to orient themselves in.

The 4,5,1,2,3,6 suggestion is interesting, and if it were an option on the poll I might have voted for it.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, there's some jokes/lines they put into Eps 1-3 that become better after you've seen 4-6 ("Have the protocol droid's memory wiped", "So uncivilized", etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to 4-6 just being much better movies, this is the clincher. There are a number of references and in-jokes in 1-3 that refer to 4-6... clearly Lucas et al expected everyone who saw 1-3 would have already seen 4-6.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:12 PM

4, 5, 6
4, 5, 6 again
a little while later, 5 again.
Done.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Luke lands on this marshy, mucky planet, looking for some bad-ass jedi master named "Yoda" or something. He crashes his x-wing, gets his astro-droid all gunked up, and then this funny lil' green alien starts giving him a hard time. Luke tells the muppet that he's looking for someone, and it says "Looking for someone? Found someone, you have."

If you saw the funny green guy and said "Hey, there's yoda! Hi yoda!", it'd ruin the scene.

{4,5,6,4,5,6,1,2,3}
-Sam
Old 02-02-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Luke lands on this marshy, mucky planet, looking for some bad-ass jedi master named "Yoda" or something. He crashes his x-wing, gets his astro-droid all gunked up, and then this funny lil' green alien starts giving him a hard time. Luke tells the muppet that he's looking for someone, and it says "Looking for someone? Found someone, you have."

If you saw the funny green guy and said "Hey, there's yoda! Hi yoda!", it'd ruin the scene.

{4,5,6,4,5,6,1,2,3}
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-02-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

{4,5,6,4,5,6,1,2,3}
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that if you watch 1-3 first, you miss out on the biggest shock/twist in the history of the movies ("Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father...") in 5.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:07 PM

My oldest boy (7) watched 1-3 recently, when I then gave him 4-6 to watch he got bored with them, as they are slower paced, and have less of the type of humour that appears to Child (he actually likes Jar Jar)

Maybe I'll suggest them to him again when he is a little older. I was a little concerned about letting him watch episode 3 as it was, the final fight scene is a little gruesome for a 7 year old!

Mat