Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 10-04-2006, 07:54 PM

Default My GF\'s parents are scumbags thus far (Fin. Aid)

So I tried briefly researching this on FAFSA, but apparantly they don't consider parents to be scumbags frequently enough to post it anywhere I saw....

My girlfriend currently is finishing up her last semester at a JuCo for an Associates Degree. She wants to go to a university starting next fall but does not have the money to do so as of now. She is willing to get loans....However...

Her parents are thus far refusing to give her any of their financial income information to do the applications. They make really good money so she probably won't get FAFSA, but she still needs this info for potential loans. She lives with them, is a dependent of them, and yet they are being total scumbags.

What is her play here? I'm guessing that the first thing is to talk to the school's financial aid office for help. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this pathetic situation....

She really needs to get out from under their thumb because they are pretty much terrible parents....Seriously, who refuses to give their kid a chance at a student loan and what not....

I'm aware this is slightly gapped in explanation so I can answer other stuff...but I'm looking for guidance from you guys.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Re: My GF\'s parents are scumbags thus far (Fin. Aid)

until she moves out, she's gonna have to put up with the crap.

" talk to the school's financial aid office for help"
yes.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 PM

Is she hot?

If she is, she could find a boyfriend who will pay for it all; unlike a poker playing loser like you!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is she hot?

If she is, she could find a boyfriend who will pay for it all; unlike a poker playing loser like you!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...and....thanks for your entirely useless post.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 PM

My parents were hesitant at first to give up this information too. I think there's a good chance they are doing it out of privacy concerns or tax reasons or something and not that they are trying to be scumbags.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is she hot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you here?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:47 PM

Your girlfriend might want to consider state schools.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:13 AM

She's probably not going to get loans from the school. Even loans are considered on a need basis.

I know someone who actually went to college with me for freshmen year, and then her parents were like "yeah, we're not paying anymore", randomly, kinda for no reason (or so she told me).

She worked for a year, and eventually declared herself independant from them. At that point she's her own entity or whatever and her parents dont matter.

How old is she? If she's 21, she can probably just get herself to not be a dependant. Financial aid probably knows how to do that.

Also, this better be for next fall. You want to apply for financial aid as soon as possible, because they just run out of it in some cases.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 AM

It is definitely for next fall. Priority filing is in March, so she has a couple months. She is not 21 until February.

I should note that her parents are being scumbags about this. They kind of are about a few things. It is definitely a rocky household sometimes...

While some of it may be privacy reasons...it is most likely just them being tools mostly...

She won't be able to declare for independent until the following year but she plans to after that.

It is Illinois State University...why does the state school thing matter TDB?

I thank you guys so far...hopefully I can gather more insight before eventually going with her to the financial aid reps here.

Also, I really don't get what a person is supposed to do in this situation. If your parents refuse to fund your education (which I have serious problems with if the offspring is serious about schooling) but are rich, how do they expect these people to go to school without taking a year or two off?

My old boss said something about some law that you can like FORCE your parents to pay for your schooling if they are determined to be able to afford it. He is a really smart guy, my old boss, so I took it seriously...but it seems unrealistic. Anyone know about that?
Old 10-05-2006, 03:58 AM

I had to go through something JUST like this. It was [censored] rediculus. The parents had just recieved a large sum of money as an inheritance. They would talk about buying new snow mobiles and half way through the same sentence tell their daughter that they couldnt help her with money. There was one time even when she was sick with strep throat for a week and couldnt afford to see a doctor and the parents wouldnt help her out. It was such [censored]. ANYWAYS, we finally got the FAFSA stuff from her parents, and she got approved for Fed loans of get this.... 5K!!!! [censored] 5 grand for the whole year. The fed EXPECTS parents to contribute. but they wouldnt.

I even called the school for her, to ask what could be done. get this, they told me in order to help her, she'd have to get pregnant!!!! WTF?

The only thing she can do is apply for private loans or wait till shes 23. (i think its 23, it might be 25.) systems [censored], sorry.