Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Re: iSTRONG\'s Tutorial Video #3: 100NL 6-max

Great video. I just watched this one and your previous two and found them to be very helpful. It's one thing to just hear "Don't limp", but seeing how you can force limpers out of the pot by raising and Cbetting when you have position but not a great hand was very enlightening. I learn best by watching and following along with someone else doing something, so videos like these are very helpful for me. Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:32 PM

Great videos, and thanks...

And BTW, in your newest video, the deck just smashed you over the head...at PokerRoom, those hands would be a heater of monumental proportions...
Old 08-21-2006, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you post a link to the wmv or avi please? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup
Old 08-21-2006, 04:27 PM

Location: Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Just wondering why you didn't raise your JThh in the BB when Limpy McGoo limped yet again. Is this primarily because you're taking a more conservative approach in the blinds on WPEX?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What could be super is if you could comment a little on what range you put the other players on, when you are not in the pot yourself.

Give us some guesstimates as to what they are representing and stuff like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will definitly do that for the next one. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice video.

In the K6s hand, I think you could have bet at least 1/3 PSB on river and gotten paid off. Villain in that hand had not played tricky up until that point. He seemed to play the hand like he had TP and it turned out he did. Even though you played that had like you had an 8, I bet he still would have paid off a smallish river bet.

In the A9s hand, great play on the turn and river. Jonas had been playing very passively postflop up until that point, only betting when he had a hand. I was amazed he turned up a total bluff. Keep up the good work!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about the K6 hand. Unfortunately i didn't read him for top pair at the time (am not too sure why), I thought he had second pair otherwise i would have bet more.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great video, very helpful and i agree on 'you-talking-funny'-comment in an earlier thread [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

2 questions though:

At some point you step back a lil' bit from raising the utg-limpers since they are inclined to call the raise frequently. And there you stop. Just questioning if stepping back is necessary if people tend to call your raises a lot but play very tight from the flop and a CBet usually takes down the pot anyway. Here the opponents in play seemed to call your bets in a rather loose manner with marginal flopped hands, so i can see you wouldn't be happy to have that situation with a so-so hand. But still, does your opinion apply for both categorys or just the latter?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I raise limpers from the button with marginal hands, most of my +EV comes from my folding equity (either preflop or from a small C-bet). Against this opponent it seemed that I had no fold equity preflop at all and that a c-bet would not work if he had caught any of the flop. For that reason I elected to raise only hands that I believed were stronger than his average hands when he limped. However against a player who limps and calls a preflop raise but is weak on the flop I would choose to raise him more often.

[ QUOTE ]

On the 96865 flop with you holding K6 of diamonds, you remarked at the end raising flop or turn probably would be fine as well, as i can see but didn't you miss a serious valuebet? Seems to me he'd be inclined to call a reasonable bet as you could very well represent a busted flushdraw, as well as a straight(given how you played) wich would make him hesitant to bluff-checkraise giving you a pretty easy fold if he does?

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why I didn't raise is that I didn't want to be put to a decision for all my chips on the turn where I could be beat. I also thought that not many hands that I beat would call me there. Moreover, because i had the flush draw as well I was pretty sure that i was pretty safe from being outdrawn on the river. By just calling the turn I could also hope to make a bet on the river if he decided to check and probably be called by a top pair anyways. However, I don't think I see anything wrong with raising the turn; i think this is one of those situations where there is not that much difference in terms of +ev.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:26 PM

lol at u wanting to play K7o UTG if on UB
Old 08-21-2006, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. UTG limps, You raise 5 otb w/ T9o, only UTG calls (pf is good). The flop comes TT7dd. UTG checks and you bet 7 into a pot of 11. I think you need to be atleast 9. UTG is pretty much either calling or folding so I think your missing some value (and letting him to draw to cheaply). You also want to inflate the pot so you can get more money in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason why I bet 7 here is that I would bet 7 as well if I actually missed the flop and did a standard c-bet. I can't start varying my bet size depending on whether i've hit the flop or not. If he's got a draw then he is not getting the right pot odds anyways and probably isn't getting the right implied odds because I got position and won't pay him off if he does draw out on me.

[ QUOTE ]

2. You (UTG) raise w/ KQs and weak player calls in SB. Flop comes KKJdd. Check, you bet 3/4 pot he calls. Turn is a blank, check you bet 3/4 pot he calls. River is another blank. He checks and you make a very small value bet of 15 into a pot of ~50. This guy has called you down 3 streets before. You should bet no less then 30 on the river (35-40 is probably optimal). Remember this guy didn't believe that you would play trips fast on the TT7 board and stacked off when the river gave him another 7 (I think he would have called down river anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya. That sucked to be honest. I should have bet between 3/4 - and full pot.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering why you didn't raise your JThh in the BB when Limpy McGoo limped yet again. Is this primarily because you're taking a more conservative approach in the blinds on WPEX?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't punish limpers from the blinds. Quite the opposite. It's great that they're limping and allowing me to see the flop for free with hands like JTo. I'm in a bad position, I don't want to be playing a big pot with a maginal hand. I'll check in the blinds and see a free flop and flop my straight.