Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 08:56 AM

Default Four hands: played well, or not so much?

The villains in these hands are generally donkish but not exceptionally maniacal. I'm warning you up front, I lost all these pots. I'm not looking for sympathy or "[censored] happens", I'm looking for ways to maximize my edges when ahead and save bets when behind in these spots.

Hand #1:
Three-handed $3/$6
I open UTG/on the button with TT. Small blind three-bets all-in. Big blind caps (I really don't believe he's strong here, I think he's trying to squeeze me out, but whatever), I call.

Flop: 663 or some trash.

Big blind bets, I raise, he calls.

Turn: blank trash

Big blind checks, I bet, he calls.

River: Jack

BB checks, I... check behind?
========================================

Hand #2:
Six-handed $3/$6.
Folded to me on the button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I raise, small blind folds, big blind calls.

Flop: Tx2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8x

Big blind bets, I raise, big blind calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Big blind checks, I bet, he calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Big blind donks, I... call?

Hand #3:
Six-handed $3/$6.
UTG+1 raises, I three-bet with KK in the cutoff, small blind folds, big blind calls, YTG+1 calls.

Flop: 44Q rainbow

Big blind checks, UTG+1 donks, I raise, big blind folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: offsuit 3

UTG+1 donks again, I... raise?. He three-bets, I... call down?

Hand #4:
Heads-up $3/$6.

I raise on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Opponent three-bets, I cap, he calls.

Flop: AQ3, one spade

Villain bets, I raise, he three-bets, I cap.

Turn: 7, putting out two spades

Villain checks, I bet, Villain calls.

River: 7

Villain checks, I bet, villain check-raises. I'm having a really hard time putting Villain on a 7, here, but what is he check-raising with? I'm sure I'm beat because I'm always beat, but this is an easy call, right?

Results + an additional question or two:
Hand #1: <font color=" #FFFFFF">SB has ??, BB drags it with J8o. Should I bet/fold the river? Bet/call?</font>
Hand #2: <font color=" #FFFFFF">BB takes it with Q3o. Should I just start folding to these river donks when the river is an overcard?</font>
Hand #3: <font color=" #FFFFFF">UTG+1 has T4s. I put in a lot of money bad here which is very unusal for me. Go into calldown when he donks the turn? Fold to the three-bet?</font>
Hand #4: <font color=" #FFFFFF">Obviously, Villain has A7o. This is never a fold, though, is it?</font>

I've had a BUNCH -120BB to -150BB sessions (not multi-day runs, individual sessions) in the last two months. I am either running worse than anyone in the history of poker or I am spewing tons of chips in these lost pots. Could I have reasonably folded somewhere in the hands above, or put in less money without hurting myself when I'm ahead?

SpaceAce
Old 07-17-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Four hands: played well, or not so much?

PLEASE DO NOT POST RESULTS. I didn't bother to read that section. also, posting fewer hands at a time would be better
hand 1, clear vbet.
hand 2, yes call.
hand 3, calldown looks good. I sometimes call the flop and pop the turn.
hand 4, this is really tough. you might get shown AA, QQ, A7s or another AQ. I probably call it but I'm not saying this is right.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:21 AM

Hand #1 - bet and get called by Ace high
Call the rest as you suspected.

Not a big deal really. What's your total downswing? I went on a -450BB streak not long ago at 5/10.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PLEASE DO NOT POST RESULTS. I didn't bother to read that section. also, posting fewer hands at a time would be better
hand 1, clear vbet.
hand 2, yes call.
hand 4, this is really tough. you might get shown AA, QQ, A7s or another AQ. I probably call it but I'm not saying this is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put the results at the bottom in white so no one would be exposed to them against their will.

I'm worried about #1. Both your reply and the next one say it's a clear bet but I just knew he had a Jack. I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT, because they ALWAYS have a Jack. I worry that I am starting to miss value bets. Well, missing theoretical value bets, because in practice I am beat here 100% of the time.

In hand #3, do you think the turn raise is out of line given the double-donk?

SpaceAce
Old 07-17-2006, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me sad, because I am looking for ways to stop losing, not reassurance that I played the hands right. See, if I played them wrong, I can fix it. If I play my hands well and keep losing, anyway, I'm just plain [censored].

[ QUOTE ]

Not a big deal really. What's your total downswing? I went on a -450BB streak not long ago at 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am down over 400 bets in the last 60,000 hands. I am clearly a losing player in this game, now, but I have no [censored] clue why.

SpaceAce
Old 07-17-2006, 10:29 AM

hand 4, going to war on the flop is OK sometimes, but with no obvious draws, i prefer calling the 3-bet and raising the turn. if villain overplays medium strength hands, then your line will get more value.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me sad, because I am looking for ways to stop losing, not reassurance that I played the hands right.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence, but I don't believe this. You really want people to tell you that you suck? Or that you're running bad like all long-term winning players do? Face it you're looking for pity and reassurance. Again no offence, I do the same thing when I run bad; but stop kidding yourself.
I'm not saying you definitely have no leaks, but these hands aren't it.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me sad, because I am looking for ways to stop losing, not reassurance that I played the hands right.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence, but I don't believe this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter to me. I meant what I said. If someone can show me where I did something wrong, I can fix it. It's that simple.

SpaceAce
Old 07-17-2006, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm worried about #1. Both your reply and the next one say it's a clear bet but I just knew he had a Jack. I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT, because they ALWAYS have a Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]
SpaceAce, you only knew it because you've been running poorly. When you're running well, your bet gets called by middle pair or ace high. We've all been there before. I play every hand in the same way as you, except I bet the river in hand 1. To be honest though, when I'm running poorly, I check the river as well.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hand 1, clear vbet.
hand 2, yes call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put the results at the bottom in white so no one would be exposed to them against their will.

I'm worried about #1. Both your reply and the next one say it's a clear bet but I just knew he had a Jack. I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT, because they ALWAYS have a Jack. I worry that I am starting to miss value bets. Well, missing theoretical value bets, because in practice I am beat here 100% of the time.

In hand #3, do you think the turn raise is out of line given the double-donk?

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. You didn't know "jack" about what villain had in Hand 1. You are just running poorly and second guessing yourself. FWIW I lost 115BB's in one session about a week ago. I was lucky to win most of it back the next day. Losses like that are pretty brutal and can put you on tilt. You may not realize that you are on tilt, but you are on tilt. Playing a lot of hands should help to smooth over these mini-downswings.