Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-27-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Re: GF invites me to wake, whats my line?

I had only met my girlfriend's father once before he died (we lived in GA, her family was in NY). My girlfriend (now wife - this was 6+ years ago) was with the family when it happened and called me in the middle of the night, around 2:00am. I had a flight booked within an hour and was in NY that afternoon.

It was the first time I had met her extended family (I had met her mother and sister the one time I met her father) and I didn't feel awkward about it at all. Her family even asked if I'd be a pallbearer. I had no problems with that, either.

There really wasn't a question in my mind about going to the funeral.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:00 AM

Don't double dip.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 PM

If she's your "Girlfriend" you go, ldo. If she's just a "friend" then you're not required. Doesn't matter if you've never met the family. As her "boyfriend" that is part of your duties.

So I take it you didn't go?? I read the whole thread, but might have missed it....

T
Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
too bad I didn't read this yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean you didn't go?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:47 PM

It is glaringly obvious you are missing some key information in your decision making. You really do want to go to this wake, and just don't know it yet.

First, wakes involve mucho alcohol. Think about it really hard, and try to remember the last time you had a bad time around a bunch of strangers when you were shitfaced drunk. Plus there is the added benefit that you will be in the best mood of anyone attending, and as a result that much more funny and charming after all that booze.

Second, and more importantly, I would refer you to Wedding Crashers. The only thing that gets women hotter than being a bridesmaid, is grief. Score!

Third, is that you are getting a valuable opportunity to check out the mother of this chick you are seeing, and most likely in a slimming black dress. This will allow you to make an informed decision as to whether to keep seeing the girl you're with or to run for the hills.

Let me know how the trip turns out!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is glaringly obvious you are missing some key information in your decision making. You really do want to go to this wake, and just don't know it yet.

First, wakes involve mucho alcohol. Think about it really hard, and try to remember the last time you had a bad time around a bunch of strangers when you were shitfaced drunk. Plus there is the added benefit that you will be in the best mood of anyone attending, and as a result that much more funny and charming after all that booze.

Second, and more importantly, I would refer you to Wedding Crashers. The only thing that gets women hotter than being a bridesmaid, is grief. Score!

Third, is that you are getting a valuable opportunity to check out the mother of this chick you are seeing, and most likely in a slimming black dress. This will allow you to make an informed decision as to whether to keep seeing the girl you're with or to run for the hills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me...but I've never been to a wake with alcohol.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Attempt at clever humor: F
Old 11-28-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just me...but I've never been to a wake with alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you aren't Irish. When my aunt died, the wake was across the street from a bar. EVERYONE, including kids was at the bar.