Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: How good are pitchers compared to the average Joe

bob, darko,

What is the attendance at most of these games?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:54 PM

Bob- Good post.

JaredL- It all depends. In my league Brockton gets about 3500 a night as does Quebec and some other teams do well too. Our team, even though being one of the better teams every year doesn't draw well--just isn't a baseball town. The majority of the league is a really good playing atmosphere.

The top tier of the Atlantic League avg's 5 and 6 thousand a night.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:38 PM

CanAm League attendance appears to be a lot better now with better markets and better stadiums than even just 5 years ago when I was there. If a team doesn't draw it's not going to survive obviously.
2,000/gm is probably surviveable and 3,000+ is doing pretty well I guess.
Remember that for every Friday and Saturday night big-promotion type game that packs 'em in for a 7k turnout you've got all those boring Monday and Tuesday night games where it's a lot tougher to get people to come out.

I think Elmira averaged around 1,400 or so per game in 2002.
Pittsfield, Mass almost certainly was below 1,000.

Pittsifled played in a really old, little stadium that was built before night-baseball so it faces west and on many nights you have a sun-set delay for 20-30 minutes or so because the batter is completely blinded and can't see the ball.

I was in Erie and Johnstown in 94 and 95 in the Frontier League which is a rookie-level indy-league and is AT LEAST 1 step lower than the CanAm League.
Johnstown had not had a team since 61 so there was a ton of hype and we got 8400 on opening-day and 9000 on the 4th of July and ended up averaging over 2000 per game.

We had some away games in Pikeville, Kentucky in that same league that drew 21 and then 8 fans on consecutive nights.

So yeah, it can vary wildly. And then you have some of the teams that draw 400 people on a Monday but find a way to call it 1200 or something more respectable because of tacking on 8 season-tickets to every corporation that buys an outfield billboard or something.
But that type of attendance inflation which puts me on life-tilt is a different topic entirely.

TDarko mentioned Quebec which is just a really fun place to see a minor-league ball-game. Those crazy Frenchies do nothing but dance and sing and make noise and get drunk all game long in their old, quaint and happenin stadium.

I was at the first game in the history of the Brockton franchise in 2002. Jimmy Fallon and Bill Murray are part-owners. Briefly met Jimmy Fallon when he half-drunkenly walked into my booth thinking I was the Brockton radio guy.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TDarko mentioned Quebec which is just a really fun place to see a minor-league ball-game. Those crazy Frenchies do nothing but dance and sing and make noise and get drunk all game long in their old, quaint and happenin stadium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great place, loud as hell...the French HATE Americans. Crazy place.

[ QUOTE ]
I was at the first game in the history of the Brockton franchise in 2002. Jimmy Fallon and Bill Murray are part-owners. Briefly met Jimmy Fallon when he half-drunkenly walked into my booth thinking I was the Brockton radio guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seen Fallon once but never met him. Met and chatted w/ Murray a ton, he can be seen taking batting practice before games some too. The guy loves baseball! Neat guy to be around, he is different than anyone you know.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:59 PM

I sort of 'met' Murray at the Baseball Winter Meetings one year. I think it was Louisville in 92.
I go into the mens room to take a leak and he's in there talking to some guy about baseball and joking around. Next thing he knows there are like 10 guys hanging around him and he's practically performing a stand-up routine right there in the mens room. It was kind of strange but he was having a great time just chatting away and making all 10 of us crack-up.

Those same meetings I rode in an elevator with George W. Bush when he still had the Texas Rangers.