Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Bad pf call with 33, hit magic flop, now what to do with massive pot?

I guess I felt lucky and broke the cardinal rule of not calling a 3bet with low pairs. The only read I have is on CO, and he has been playing like a maniac, raising with 62o and the like. Everyone else has been playing loose passive, I believe.

How does my line look?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (20SB, 5 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (20BB, 5 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (40BB, 5 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, Hero ???

Results:
Final pot: 44BB
Old 09-12-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Bad pf call with 33, hit magic flop, now what to do with massive pot?

raise turn...dont turn into a calling station with a hand like this. river i think i might still raise but probably would jsut call down if the turn was capped. theres is no way in h ell i am going to fold this hand ever in a 40BB pot. u only have to be good what once in 9 or 10 (assuming its capped on this river) to profit
Old 09-12-2007, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Bad pf call with 33, hit magic flop, now what to do with massive pot?

I think preflop is at worst slightly poor (depending at how likely it is that UTG still plays and how likely CO is to cap).

Cap the turn.

Go along for the ride on the river.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise turn...dont turn into a calling station with a hand like this. river i think i might still raise but probably would jsut call down if the turn was capped.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it were just Hero and CO, that's optimal. If it were just Hero, CO and Button, I'd still play it this way.

But SB is behaving for all the world like he has a bigger set or a straight. I'm inclined to believe him. Call the river, hope it doesn't get raised and capped, and next time eliminate the "Final Pot" line so we don't see that only four bets went in on the river.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Bad pf call with 33, hit magic flop, now what to do with massive p

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise turn...dont turn into a calling station with a hand like this. river i think i might still raise but probably would jsut call down if the turn was capped.

[/ QUOTE ]
If it were just Hero and CO, that's optimal. If it were just Hero, CO and Button, I'd still play it this way.

But SB is behaving for all the world like he has a bigger set or a straight. I'm inclined to believe him. Call the river, hope it doesn't get raised and capped, and next time eliminate the "Final Pot" line so we don't see that only four bets went in on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bigka and nied...thanks for your responses. After reading them, I think I should have played it that way, and been more aggressive on the turn and river (although the turn ended up being capped).

However, I was hesitant on the turn because I was worried about 67 or even 99, which would draw me pretty thin. I would never fold to a 40bb+ pot, but I also wanted to know whether calling or raising would be the better long term value. This was a pretty wild game, and 67 would have actually not been out of the question for one of the maniacs to play.

Thanks again.