Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-15-2006, 01:52 AM

Default Predict the Amount of $$$ I\'ll Pay

So I've had a banner week while sitting in the seat of my car. I'm 21 and had only had 1 mishap in 5 years driving in my car. Then this week happened:

*Hydroplaned into the back of a car. Owner was a young kid who didnt care because there was nothing more than a scratch or two. Lucked out there.
*Next day my car smokes on the way back to school. Took it in yesterday to get it looked at/repaired. $265 for new water pump and belt.

*So we come to today. We have one of those 2-car-wide driveways with the neighbors. They parked on our side of the driveway. I forgot that the car was there (in a matter of 30 seconds) and backed into it slowly. At first I thought I just tapped it. But I got out and I busted the far side headlight cover (an orange light?) and I may have messed up the corner of the fender a little. It didn't LOOK bent or anything, so the repair there may or may not be bad.

Post predictions for how much it will cost me when he goes to get it looked at tomorrow....
Broken headlight cover (on the orange light), light still worked, all else appeared in tact.
Also the fender was a little out of place/loose on the corner causing a marginally larger gap between the hood and fender by the light area...
No scratches (that we saw) otherwise...

(And FWIW, I know nothing about cars. It is a Pontiac something or other. I know nothing else about the car. That means this will be a crapshoot for guessing the cost).

So let's hear it. Predict away.

Winner gets to make me happy if they predicted low. Winner gets to make me cry if they predict high.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Predict the Amount of $$$ I\'ll Pay

if its the headlight assembly and the marker is all one pieace of plastic then about ~300 if the bumper is tweaked down a tad its possible you just bent up a bracket a little and it will be about ~200 with some touch up paint

Total estimate 5-600
Old 11-15-2006, 01:09 PM

While this sucks...that would be an estimate I could forget in a week. I'm worried it will get above that or to like $1000. The car I drive I only spent $1200 for...I'm not big on cars.

Thanks for the response...I realize the OP was a bit BBV in nature...but I needed to vent.

I do appreciate the response..at least now I have something to judge the cost he comes to me with.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if its the headlight assembly and the marker is all one pieace of plastic then about ~300 if the bumper is tweaked down a tad its possible you just bent up a bracket a little and it will be about ~200 with some touch up paint

Total estimate 5-600

[/ QUOTE ]

winner
Old 11-16-2006, 12:38 PM

They definitely didn't go get it looked at yet, and I'm leaving town tonight for TurkeyBreak....

Apparantly I scratched the fender a little bit so it may turn out to be way more than $500 (this according to my roommate who knows more than I about cars)...

We shall wait and see...not much I can do for now....