Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Sunday mill: avg stack to busto in 3 hands, too aggressive?

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Notice all 3 stacks behind are less than or = 10BBs. (SB is close enough.) Therefore, I'm (usually) going to make one of two plays with a good but non-monster starting hand: Either open shove, or make a standard raise and fold to a push. If you are willing call about 10 BBs, you might as well maximize fold equity and open push. I would make the play you made only if at least one of the stacks behind were deeper and I wouldn't want to risk > 10BBs with an open push.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would just open push hand 1, since no one to act has more than 10xBB.

Once you get reraised, you are pot committed and have to call. You are suited, and have the odds to call if you knew villain had AK or KK.

OP's raise is pretty much the as pushing. Open folding from CO with these stacks is terrible.

Pushing > standard raise > limping > miniraise > folding.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just open push hand 1, since no one to act has more than 10xBB.

Once you get reraised, you are pot committed and have to call. You are suited, and have the odds to call if you knew villain had AK or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that open pushing is best, but how are you getting proper odds to call if you make a standard raise and the BB shoves with AK or KK? You are getting 2-1 which is the correct odds against KK, but you are about a 2.4-1 dog against AT-AK. It's close, but it seems like calling or folding in that line are both reasonable. (Excepting future table image considerations.)
Old 10-23-2006, 03:40 PM

hand 2 is borderline, but it's not horrible or anything. 1 and 3 are pretty standard, and i don't think anything was significantly misplayed
Old 10-23-2006, 04:03 PM

Hand 1 umm ok, but I think flat calling there is better, since you are gonna have position, see the flop and go from there.

Hand 2: Not a play I would make.

Hand 3: The right play in that situation, but you shouldnt have been in that spot in the first place.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the comments guys, the only thing that really made me need 2 whiskeys before getting to sleep was the 88 push.

As for the A9s push/raise discussion, I was of course fully aware that raise3x=push in this situation, I knew that if anybody was playing the hand they were pushing not calling. So I was already planning to call a push. Maybe I'd have more FE with pushing but that almost eliminates the possibility of them calling with worse hands than A9, right? I mean the guy w AJ could maybe have pushed A8 or KQ too, but wouldn't call a push with those hands.

The 88 push is borderline i know, IMO it was a bad play because I didn't stop to think about that I was in such an early position. I only thought about beating the original raiser (a LAG) and I was pretty sure I had him beat.

Another thing, I am really not used to the structure in this tournament, and I wasn't really sure how aggressive I should be with a stack of 60k and those blinds, nearing the bubble. When I was playing I thought I was shortstacked, but afterwards I felt like I had a big enough stack to wait around for a better spot. The blinds were just about to invrease to 1800/3600+antes. (60k stack = M of about 8-9)

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment on these few hands.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'd have more FE with pushing but that almost eliminates the possibility of them calling with worse hands than A9, right? I mean the guy w AJ could maybe have pushed A8 or KQ too, but wouldn't call a push with those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, however isn't the same true for hands like 66 and 77 that you want out? Despite this, IMO the benefits of getting A8/KQ to come over the top of your 3x open outweight the disadvantages of ending up racing a hand that you could've made fold with an open shove....