Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Is there merit in a check-raise here?

Villain is a regular in the game and pretty LAG (39/16.5/2.65, attempt to steal ~27%). He's not a complete lunk but I like having him at my table.

Folded to villain on the button; he raises. Small blind folds and I call with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I don't see much point in donking or check-raising here because he loves to get frisky on the flop. It's unlikely that he will fold, it is more likely that I will face a raise. So, I check, he bets (which he will do 99.9% of the time in this situation) and I decide to take one off.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain's range here is very wide and includes any pair, any Ace, any King and lots of connectors and one-gappers. He will bet if I check. If I check-raise, he will probably fold any unpaired hand with no club in it, including better Kings. I think it is likely that he will fold a lot of small non-club pairs, as well. If he has a made flush, he will definitely punish me with a reraise. If he has an Ace, he is going to call down. If he just calls, I will fire again on the river because he will call the turn check-raise with any club and possibly something like a ten that he will fold if he doesn't improve on the river. The hands he is most likely to call the check-raise with are an Ace or a worse club draw.

Do you think I gain enough value from taking the pot down unimproved to make the turn sexy a good idea?

SpaceAce
Old 06-22-2006, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Is there merit in a check-raise here?

what if you lead the turn?

donkish villains get more attached to pots as they put more bets in
Old 06-23-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what if you lead the turn?

donkish villains get more attached to pots as they put more bets in

[/ QUOTE ]

I rather suspect a donk would look weird enough to get me called down by any pair unless a diamond hits on the river.

SpaceAce
Old 06-23-2006, 02:42 PM

villain = U _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ M ?

i think a turn c/r is decent here. everyone bets the A turn with any two because they want to rep it. your flop peel is thin though...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villain = U _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ M ?

i think a turn c/r is decent here. everyone bets the A turn with any two because they want to rep it. your flop peel is thin though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain != U________M, but I know who you mean. This villain is not quite as LAGgy as "U" seems to be in my small sample.

The flop peel might be kind of thin but I decided I didn't want to give up to this guy again, and a donk or check-raise would almost certainly end up in multiple bets going in with little chance of taking it down on the flop.

SpaceAce
Old 06-23-2006, 08:41 PM

I think we should just fold this flop. He is almost never giving up on the turn, and with a 2 BB pot OOP, I don't think it is worth the investment of continuing.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we should just fold this flop. He is almost never giving up on the turn, and with a 2 BB pot OOP, I don't think it is worth the investment of continuing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were going to fold, it would have been on the flop. On the turn, with the nut flush draw, possibly two live cards and the chance that I have the best hand, anyway, I'm not folding. The question is whether or not the check-raise is significantly better or worse than other lines.

Also, I will occasionally play an actual flush draw and made flush like this, as well as other made hands.

SpaceAce
Old 06-25-2006, 06:07 PM

I can see the sexy being worthwhile on the turn here. Seems better than donking or ch/c given your explanation of the opponent.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:14 PM

I like your thought pattern here. I suppose it is either a c/f the flop or your line. If you really are certain villain will call your turn raise with a T and fold to a river bet, then I like. Solid read you have.

-Caddy