Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: ARRGHHH

OK, let's just agree that we got different messages from this movie. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] My main complaint anyhow is just it wasn't a very good movie and not very funny at all. Like I said earlier, if it's crap, the message doesn't much matter anyhow. When's the next Family Guy movie coming out? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, let's just agree that we got different messages from this movie. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] My main complaint anyhow is just it wasn't a very good movie and not very funny at all. Like I said earlier, if it's crap, the message doesn't much matter anyhow. When's the next Family Guy movie coming out? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just dumb founded how u think Knocked Up was crap but a Family Guy movie is hilarious. Did u like 40 Year Old Virgin? Wedding Crashers? Old School?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just dumb founded how u think Knocked Up was crap but a Family Guy movie is hilarious. Did u like 40 Year Old Virgin? Wedding Crashers? Old School?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they were all mediocre-OK. Family Guy is a brilliant show at the level of Seinfeld. Humour is in the eye of the beholder much like beauty.
I thought KUd was crap because it's a formula Hollywood movie, with mediocre actors, mediocre humour and it was way too long.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
john,

"Went for another triple play today, coulda done 4, but buddy had to leave early."

I'm assuming this is "go to a theater and then just stay there and walk into more movies" style? If so, that brings back good memories of my younger days! Maybe I'll do it next weekend!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my buds and I do this @ Century 20 in Daily City. All 3 of us are very lame (not party animals) and wee enjoy movies a lot, so usually once a month we will commit 6 - 8 hours to watch several movies in 1 day.

We pack bags full of bottled water, fruit, cold cuts, and protein bars, and then watch movies like degenerates. One of the many minor goals in my life is to wtach 5 movies in that theater in 1 day.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:25 AM

I will elaborate on Knocked Up:

Why is it Good? It essentially is a smart goofball comedy. By "goofball" I don't really mean a Marx Brother's type of thing; more of a wedding crasher/old school type of thing.

Now IMO, the reason it is good is the humor works correctly. The jokes are delivered in a spot on fashion (see that other guys write up for examples). Secondly, on a global level the humor is darkish; all these ppl are [censored] up (not wanting to age, scared of life in general, insecurities).

The Plot/Story is Smart? Well its not a pro or anti abortion movie. If you think it is anti abortion, you possibly a la radical? The movie uses the person getting knocked up for the true story; which is the progress/development of life.

Start of the movie, the guy is a stoner w/o anything much going on in life, and the chick is just a pretty girl who is not very independent (but is following a "standard" path in life). At the end of the movie, this is hardly the case. While they still retain their personalities/ways, they have matured greatly.

My Conclusion It is very rare for a comedy of this type to deliver now a days. IMO 40yo virgin was a below average (maybe average) movie, just like the rest of the non-stellar movies. Really I cant recall a great pure comedy in the last two years (little miss sunshine was awesome, bad IMO was drama/comedy). So because it was actually funny throughout, and was thinking beyond 1 liners throughout the jokes, I felt it was great. Add in a great story, and it really puts the movie in a class of its own in the modern mainstream "goofball" genre.

It transcends the "goofball" genre that targets teens and drunk frat boys (maybe it isn't a goof ball movie after all?); and would be a recommendation for any adult in his 40s or 50s.

All of that said, I do not feel this is an amazing movie (like 90% of the critics think). I mean it is great, great, great, and could be amongst the better movies of the year, but IMO it is not material that will remain ageless (maybe I am spoiled).

Never the less, I highly recommend it to any movie watcher, not just the "targeted" audience.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:32 AM

john,

"We pack bags full of bottled water, fruit, cold cuts, and protein bars, and then watch movies like degenerates. One of the many minor goals in my life is to wtach 5 movies in that theater in 1 day."

If there's a point anytime in the near future where there are 5 movies I could stand seeing, I'll do this with you. I think it's awesome.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 AM

SUNSHINE a bit spoiler-ish

Noticed that someone mentioned Sunshine earlier on. Happened to catch it a while ago (us release date seems to be 20 july while it was out in april over here). From the same writer/director team as 28 days later, we follow the second team sent to "reboot" a dying sun (Don't dismiss it because of this idiotic-sounding plot). The first part of this movie is great and resembles good old space operas like 2001. Cillian Murphy is good as always and the rest of the ensemble (yeoh, curtis, evans (johnny storm)) is good as well.

So you are sitting there enjoying a good movie then suddenly with 20 mins left the movie turns into this kind of wierd alien/slasher/horror ending. I still enjoyed it though 7/10, but it could have been so much better.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Saw Ocean's 13 this weekend.

During the movie, I liked it.

Right after the movie, I felt entertained and thought it was pretty good.

A few minutes later, I found myself thinking:

WTF, there was no plot!

WTF, how many f'ing people did they just bribe to make their scam work?

WTF, where was all the ingenious stuff?

WTF, where was the tension and excitement?

After thinking about this for not very long, I decided that I really didn't think much of this movie at all. I'll still probably watch it again when it comes out on HBO, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Mexico bits were pretty good, though. And SUPER DAVE!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SUNSHINE a bit spoiler-ish

Noticed that someone mentioned Sunshine earlier on. Happened to catch it a while ago (us release date seems to be 20 july while it was out in april over here). From the same writer/director team as 28 days later, we follow the second team sent to "reboot" a dying sun (Don't dismiss it because of this idiotic-sounding plot). The first part of this movie is great and resembles good old space operas like 2001. Cillian Murphy is good as always and the rest of the ensemble (yeoh, curtis, evans (johnny storm)) is good as well.

So you are sitting there enjoying a good movie then suddenly with 20 mins left the movie turns into this kind of wierd alien/slasher/horror ending. I still enjoyed it though 7/10, but it could have been so much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

that sucks...I had a weird feeling based on the new trailer that gives a bit more plot that the hollywood type sci fi element would end up getting thrown in there.

Still will check it out for everything but that last 20 minutes.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
john,

"We pack bags full of bottled water, fruit, cold cuts, and protein bars, and then watch movies like degenerates. One of the many minor goals in my life is to wtach 5 movies in that theater in 1 day."

If there's a point anytime in the near future where there are 5 movies I could stand seeing, I'll do this with you. I think it's awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

For sure. I'll PM you in advance. I reckon sometime this summer, or maybe later this year we will do it. No definitive schedule really, so it very up in the air.

If anyone else around the bay has similar thoughts about doing this, make yourself heard!
Closed Thread