Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Default 62s flops big draw in a smallish pot at passive table.

Button is a 30/13/.98 calling station
Other players are unknown

3/6 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, Hero calls, BB checks

Flop: (4 SB)7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
Hero bets, 2 folds, Button calls

Turn: (3 BB) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero ??

Questions:
1) should I have tried for a C/R on the flop? Table was playing passive overall and I wasn't confident anyone would bet if I checked. In this case I figured leading out was the best way to get the most money in the pot. If I had a read that BB or MP were more agressive I might be more inclined to try a c/r.

2) What's my turn line? The initial turn bet is good right? Should I B/C or B/R.

3) What's my line on the river for a:
-Heart
-T
-6 or 2
Old 04-14-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: 62s flops big draw in a smallish pot at passive table.

You have no idea where the bet (if there is one) will come from on the flop, so going for a c/r doesn't seem wise (especially given that it's a passive table). I like betting out there, although you're very rarely going to get even two folds, let alone win the pot.

With only Btn calling the flop bet, of course you need to bet again on this "safe" turn card. The question becomes what to do when he raises--if he'd raise with "just" trips or less, then of course you call & hope to hit your river. If he's that passive that he'd fear the straight & wouldn't raise anything less than JT, this is a call & check/fold anything but a heart river (bet/fold that).

Unless I know that Button would raise the turn on a pure bluff, I'm not putting another cent into the pot without hitting at least a straight on the river. So a 6 or 2 is a check/fold for me. If I do hit, I like bet/fold...unless he's capable of raising trips or less on a very scary river (most aren't), in which case bet/call.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:38 PM

Why do you advocate betting the flop even though we'll likely rarely take it down (I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I think I'll let you ssay why, and since you brought up a very good point here.)

A particular section of ToP sticks out in my mind, but it's relating to stud instead of Hold'em, but I think it applies regardless.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you advocate betting the flop even though we'll likely rarely take it down (I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I think I'll let you ssay why, and since you brought up a very good point here.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's partly for value based on the strength of our draw, partly for deception, but mostly just a flat out semibluff. While we likely won't get rid of overcard+gutshot type hands, or any hand that actually caught a piece of this flop, we will probably fold out underpairs and/or possibly pick up outs by folding a hand like A2 (if we're called by, say, QT), or maybe folding out a naked jack or single heart higher than our 6. Betting could actually get us our free card as well, where check/calling (or check/raising) could convince a late position player to bet both streets.

Plus there's the metagame aspect of it--if I have JT or some other huge hand I will lead this flop as well, and betting a draw in this situation makes it more likely that I'll be able to bet/3bet when I do have the goods.