Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 PM

Default 10NL tough river call...

Villain is about 75/3 (hence why I raise PF though I realise this is not totally standard and it sucks to be OOP)

Villain is very passive post pre and post - he previously smooth called my PF raise with AK, flopped the nut strait and called down to the river. He tends to just call down, even with a monster...

I am getting really good odds on the river, about 4-1 I think, but there are just sooo many things that beat me. Do you ever fold this river?

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $19.35
BB: $33.45
UTG: $12.95
MP: $9.15
CO: $2.65
BTN: $9.55

Pre-Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
4 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.80) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.55</font>, BB calls $0.55

Turn: ($1.90) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.20</font>, BB calls $1.20

River: ($4.30) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.70</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $5.40</font>, Hero...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: 10NL tough river call...

Easy call w/ these odds. he will do this with lots of non-boat sixes or other things you're ahead of or splitting with.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:40 PM

This sucks but I think you have to call. Your read is that he's very passive but sometimes villians like this do random things that just don't make sense. It's a BvB and he may be just annoyed that you raised into him and bet all streets (seriously, these are the kinds of things you have to take into account). Getting 4-1 I think it's a reluctant call. PF raise is standard OOP or not with such deep stacks against this Villian methinks.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:56 PM

first of all, if villain is 75/3, you should be raising LESS OOP, b/c he'll call w/ so many more hands which are ahead of you.

as for the hand, I would say just push - he could be doing this with just a 6 or even just an A. (and yes, he will call your push with those)
Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first of all, if villain is 75/3, you should be raising LESS OOP, b/c he'll call w/ so many more hands which are ahead of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Villian is 75/3 and OP has a read that he's also an idiotic calling station postflop. The stacks are deep and he has no fear of being re-raised - this is an ideal situation to raise preflop constantly with garbage.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Villian is 75/3 and OP has a read that he's also an idiotic calling station postflop. The stacks are deep and he has no fear of being re-raised - this is an ideal situation to raise preflop constantly with garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]
um - no

villain's calling with anything. you must hit a hand to continue and 79 isn't going to cut it. with a hand like 79, you may even hit a pair, but there will probably be overcards where you'll have no idea if villain hit them or not.

why would you ever want to play a big pot with 79 OOP?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

um - no

villain's calling with anything. you must hit a hand to continue and 79 isn't going to cut it. with a hand like 79, you may even hit a pair, but there will probably be overcards where you'll have no idea if villain hit them or not.

why would you ever want to play a big pot with 79 OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because my opponent is a deep-stacked extreme idiotic calling station, that's why. Raise pf, if you hit value bet what figures to be the best hand (second pair or whatever), if not check. Profit [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 03:19 PM

you'll miss more times than you hit. so you're saying I should just c/f in those spots?

and sometimes you'll be "value-betting" your 7 or 9 when the board comes 7 K T and he'll show up with T2o... no profit

seriously - we're up against a calling station. YOU NEED A HAND against a CS.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 PM

Yes, you check/fold if you don't hit, because this guy doesn't bet unless he has it. In fact, he doesn't bet even if he does have it - that's why he's a calling station and not a maniac who is not going to give you free cards and push you off mediocre holdings that you're trying to value-bet thin. As for your example, do you think that just because sometimes he'll show up with a better hand than yours it's not profitable to bet them? If you don't bet a worse hand than his often you're not getting nearly enough value from this villian. I thought this was basic stuff.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:35 PM

aside: you know - i didn't read the OP closely enough to realize that this guy is completely passive, so I guess for my first post, a call is fine.

to dr_doctr:
and what if he checks behind? are you going to bet the turn? you can never get to showdown and win with a hand like 79 UI.

and my example is saying that 79 will consistently be behind pre-flop and post flop even when you hit a pair b/c there are so many overcards that could hit. I'd much rather raise here with A2o than 79s.

And so i guess i'll revise my original statement to say that you should be raising DIFFERENT types of hands against this guy then against a normal opponent - not necessarily MORE hands.