Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 PM

Default I\'m afraid to say it but Doolittle

has this thing wrapped up! I was hot on blake and jordin but I cannot ignore melinda's staying power with top votes. This might be a repeat of taylor. he was never in the bottom three and i think melinda has out proved him at least at being at the top of vote getting. It's sure looking that way!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: I\'m afraid to say it but Doolittle

She's a pro. No doubt.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:15 PM

She's definitely the best, but I'm not sure she'll win. As Simon repeatedly says, "this is a singing competition". People don't always vote for the best.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She's definitely the best, but I'm not sure she'll win. As Simon repeatedly says, "this is a singing competition". People don't always vote for the best.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm confused. If it's a singing competition, then she wins hands down, probably winning every year since the show's conception. I know it's not, but noone is close enough to overcome the talent differential. She's never going to put up a bomb. She's handled 2 horrible songs, and still had (perhaps arguably) the best performances of each night. I honestly don't think 1:1 is high enough.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Ugh. It's NOT a singing competition. It's a reality show about a singing competition, and the winner of the reality show always has been, and always will be, the singer with the most <u>popularity</u> for a vast number of reasons, only one of which is their singing talent.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:26 PM

Can she win it though ?

She is who I have most of my money on at this point but I'm really doubting whether she can win. I also have a fair bit on Blake and Jordin as back-up. Lakisha is the only front runner not in my portfolio because I just couldn't see America letting her win.

With Melinda I am seriously torn. She is seriously in a class by her own. Last night was a perfect example. When she sang I felt like I was watching a professional singer. But will the American public let her win ? She will get a contract and she will sell records, but with her look (see shrek looking midget) will they vote for her ?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 PM

Blake? Shrek is going to blow him off the stage. She's just taking a little break right now. She could go away for a month and still get the votes. Jordin will knock him down too. That Easy Listening simpleton won't know what hit him.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blake? Shrek is going to blow him off the stage. She's just taking a little break right now. She could go away for a month and still get the votes. Jordin will knock him down too. That Easy Listening simpleton won't know what hit him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it'll be as easy as you imply. There is a good percentage of the viewing population that don't care for the typical "strong" female vocals that Melinda, Lakisha, and to a lesser extent, Jordin portray. Blake will likely capture this group. He may also capture a majority of males and young girls alike, in the end.

While Blake's impact probably isn't very significant right now (because his voting base is likely distributed among most of the remaining guys and Haley), he will probably gain steam as others are voted off.

I'm not saying Blake has a good shot at winning this, but he may make a competition out of it in the end.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh. It's NOT a singing competition. It's a reality show about a singing competition, and the winner of the reality show always has been, and always will be, the singer with the most <u>popularity</u> for a vast number of reasons, only one of which is their singing talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so sick of hearing this refrain. No, it IS a singing/performing competition, the outcome of which is decided by votes. No one says that olympic gymnastics is just a score-getting competition. Sure the AI system is imperfect, but that doesn't change the nature of the show.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:43 PM

Well, singing talent and popularity are probably very strongly correlated, so it is in fact both a singing competition and a popularity contest.