Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Am I maximizing value from flopped sets! NL50, Full Tilt

Maybe this is just variance, but seems like lately I'm not getting max value from flopped sets. Most times I've just been fast playing, going for the check raise when I know the continuation bet is coming. Should I not check raise as much when I know the continuation bet is coming and villains range isn't on the board.

Some Examples.

HAND 1: Villain is 12/10/3, almost always continuation betting. Probably a standard hand, can't let him draw. That A is strongly in his range though. Decent pot I'm just greedy want the whole stack.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($75.15)
UTG ($59.05)
MP ($50)
CO ($50)
Hero ($88.25)
SB ($49)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $4.55</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, MP folds.

Final Pot: $13.85

HAND 2: Villain is 23/18/3. Same deal as the last one almost, villain is continuation betting alot, but can't let him draw right.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($69.60)
BB ($43.50)
UTG ($46.25)
MP ($83.70)
CO ($50)
Button ($61.45)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $9</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: $10.50

Hand 3: Villain is 25/22/3.4, somewhat of a calling station. Have seen him call down with TPWK, a gutshot with 2 overs once, and with just overs 2 times. Is my bet sizing to strong here?

Button ($31.15)
SB ($58.85)
BB ($22.60)
UTG ($54)
Hero ($165.80)
CO ($49)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3</font>, Hero calls $3, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: ($6.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG calls $5.

Turn: ($16.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $16.75

Just a couple of examples, not sure if I'm really doing something wrong not getting more money into the pot or if it's just a variance thing where it's a little dry spell (value wise). Basically asking if I'm getting max value out of these hands or can I get more some kind of way.

The biggest part of this is that most of these hands the villain has hit a flop that is almost certainly in their range. Small exception on last one, but he did call my flop bet so must have something.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Am I maximizing value from flopped sets! NL50, Full Tilt

I think you played them fine. My default line is to generally bet strongly with sets and sometimes slow play if it's a dry board. There's an argument for checking behind turn on hand 3. He's not drawing so this might give him a chance to put a nice bet out on the river and maybe call a decent raise but betting there can't be bad.

The only thing i'd say is that if opponents c-bet a lot and fold to raises you can start raising their c-bets a little more regularly particularly if you have a tight image.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 AM

The first two hands are okay. Another option is to underbet the pot trying to represent a draw, then 3-bet your opponent all-in if they raise.

Yet another possibility is to just call the flop and then min-raise the turn if a safe card falls. If your opponents are paying attention, it's important that you play big draws exactly the same as sets.

In the second hand, I would personally 3-bet preflop for a few reasons. You may be ahead at that point, your opponent is unlikely to shove over your 3-bet, and you can c-bet the flop and take it down unless your opponent hits a big hand. Finally 3-betting medium or better pairs form the blinds will make it much easier to stack a TPTK hand.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your opponents are paying attention, it's important that you play big draws exactly the same as sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say big draws, do you mean combo draws or flush draws?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:24 AM

hands 1 and 3 looks standard to me... id 3 bet preflop in hand 2 and im not a big fan of the check raise
Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 AM

I think this depends a lot on your image. I'd fold my TPTK against a nit showing agression on flop.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 AM

I'm about 20/13/3, continue bet to often and double barrel to often. Also probably call to often on the flop when bet into.