Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2007, 08:54 PM

Default College Kid Debating about MBA Program

A little background info:
Currently a junior at Indiana University and definitely majoring in Finance. Currently have a 3.41 GPA. I.U.'s undergrad program is ranked top 10 in the nation and nearly all of the big firms recruit here. The MBA program is ranked top 20 nationally, and it's known for getting at least a couple job offers for each student.

About the program:
I.U. offers a 3/2 program where after 3 years I would go into the MBA program, and then would have 2 years in my masters program. The track would be in financial analysis. This ultimately cuts out a year of college (and costs). The program also has plenty of field work with companies in the region.

On to my questions:
I’m currently interested in getting a job in trading with a backup option of wealth management. Both of these suit my style. Obv poker fits with trading. I’m a pretty big winner at 3/6 and 5/10 nl. I like managing my money and have followed this forum for a long time. It’s been very beneficial. Ty ty. I’m curious if this program would let me stand out from the crowd to get me either one of these jobs. I’m afraid if I don’t do the program that I will not end up getting my MBA, but is there reason to bother with it in these fields? Also my GPA is somewhat marginal and a good amount of companies that I would potentially want to work for require a 3.5 just to get an interview for the undergrad program. (For purposes of interviewing, I only need a 3.45 to get past this through how the system works, which I should be able to make in a year). Mainly my question is, should I be worried about getting a job in these fields based on the above or should I go into this program where I should be guaranteed a job in these fields? I’m good at interviews btw.

By doing just the undergrad program I would graduate in 3 ½ years so I would have a chance to travel for 6 months or so, which is something I would love to do. I have a couple places I would want to go for a few weeks at a time. My final question: I could add an accounting major by adding another semester and would it have any benefit to trading or wealth management?