Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: How often do you mess up?

[ QUOTE ]
I think I make more terrible plays AND more great plays than 98% of people who play HSNL.

I like to call them unforced errors and call myself the Venus Williams of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
New custom title?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I make more terrible plays AND more great plays than 98% of people who play HSNL.

I like to call them unforced errors and call myself the Venus Williams of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you change your avatar on 2+2 and all poker sites to Venus Williams, I will coach you for 4 hours (6 hours if I'm feeling generous)
Old 04-12-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeti,
I've thought about this a lot. Basically this is what it comes down to for me.

My goal is to play optimally
This is impossible(obviously).
Every session I will be upset with my play because it is suboptimal.

Given this I have learned to still be critical of my play but not let poor decisions bother me as much as they used to.

I'm not sure if this helps but just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

im in the same boat. i used to tilt ridiculously if I felt I made a poor play(s). Now i'm still very critical of my play, but realize that dwelling/obsessing on particular hands (the past, rather than the present)in a NEGATIVE manner is completely counterproductive and breeds monkey tilt. basically for me its like, everyone makes mistakes, you cant be succesfull without learning from them but you also have to move on and not let prior hands affect your actual mentality

i think this is the sort of thing that halts development in a lot of players. some ppl just cant admit to mistakes/evaluate their play objectively

pretty simple stuff but w/e
Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 PM

Usually a couple of big ones every thousand hands or so. Not always "messed up" though, lots are pretty close.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 PM

When I'm multitabling, occasionally I just forget to think about a situation. Like, I'll be deciding whether to call or raise a river bet, and I'll think "Okay, well obviously calling makes sense here. Oh, but raising does too," and then I'll just choose one without bothering to reason it out.

I'd say this happens once every 300 hands or so.

I'm really curious to learn how often other good players do this. But, I'm pretty sure people are pretty awful at assessing how frequently they do this stuff.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm multitabling, occasionally I just forget to think about a situation. Like, I'll be deciding whether to call or raise a river bet, and I'll think "Okay, well obviously calling makes sense here. Oh, but raising does too," and then I'll just choose one without bothering to reason it out.

I'd say this happens once every 300 hands or so.

I'm really curious to learn how often other good players do this. But, I'm pretty sure people are pretty awful at assessing how frequently they do this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont' believe that counts, zee's posts make it seem like doing what u just explained may be BETTER than thinking (because it's better than overthinking). OP is talkin about actually making a mistake.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:38 AM

I throw at least one absurd bluff per session. I regret too many, but it gets me paid in situations I might not have otherwise
Old 04-13-2007, 03:56 AM

I'd like to hear from more of the ballas on this. I personally am terrible at playing my best, and I'm not talking about tilt at all (though I do that once in a while). It's more like what Stinger mentioned; almost immediately after certain decisions, I realize that had I thought about it just a bit more, I'd have picked a better play. I know this is about focus, and I'm seriously trying meditation as a route to focusing better, but in my case so far, this is slow going.

Anyway, I always add up the plays that I made that I know better than to make, but just didn't for whatever reason, in a session, and it's scary how much money I've given away like that. This is especially true, given how many of the decisions involve play on the river, when either me or my opponent is "drawing dead." And to be clear, I'm not talking about misreads; I mean mistakes GIVEN the read I had at the time.

Bottom line for me: I play live poker 3 days/week, ~25 hours/week, with the odd trip thrown in where I play a ton (like last week in Vegas), and I have played 3 sessions since December that I am confident I didn't leave over 50 BBs on the table due to unforced errors. Looked at as a percentage of sessions, that means I'm batting like .125, which is acceptable to a Cubs fan, but otherwise gross.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(like last week in Vegas),

[/ QUOTE ]

TRIP REPORT!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:56 AM

less and less seldom but still pretty frequently. moreso when running bad ofc, so yeah it IS a form of tilt.