Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Home Players & Hosts Peeves

Saw a thread like this on another board. As a host of home games, we see some annoying crap. Vent away in this thread.

Players aren't the only A-holes. I've seen some crappy tourney hosts as well. What have you seen other home hosters do that gets you angry?

I hate the rail birds who constantly complain about blind times because they want to get on to the next game.

I hate the host who is not consistent in their rulings. One player can retrieve his cards on a mistaken muck, but another can't? WTF?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Home Players & Hosts Peeves

Table captains

yeah, they can be helpful to the newer players- but when everyone knows whattheyre doing, they're a huge pain in the ass!
Old 08-24-2007, 03:41 PM

This might fall under "dnord, you should really stop going to that game" but there are hosts who don't really have a blind schedule. The timer goes off after 10 minutes and they just call out what the next level is, and I wonder if we don't occasionally skip 75/150 or 150/300 because he's bored or busted or the chip leader.

But that's about it.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:06 PM

I play in a home game among friends, and guests of friends, so it's pretty casual and I'm not a nit, but here are a few of my gripes.
[*]Blinds do not go up at pre-specified intervals
[*]Raises and re-raises are allowed in big-blind increments - I'm used to a raise being a min. of double the bet. We play nlhe tourneys, and it astounds me when I make a pot sized bet and someone raises me 1 big blind. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] We have a mix of n00bs and solid players, and it's always the inexperienced players doing this, but I always wonder what they're trying to accomplish.
[*]Table captain scolding other players - We all pretty much get along very well in spite of the alcohol consumption, but every once in a while someone will get harsh with one of the new guests about a rule. I'm all for understanding and adhering to the rules, but there's no need to get obnoxious about it, especially with a new player.
[*] Someone not in the hand calling out possible made/drawing hands post flop. - They're told to keep quiet, but inevitably it still happens every once in a while.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make a pot sized bet and someone raises me 1 big blind. We have a mix of n00bs and solid players, and it's always the inexperienced players doing this, but I always wonder what they're trying to accomplish.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should pay attention and figure out what they're trying to accomplish, then exploit it.

For me, the most annoying players are the ones who mark the cards. A few months back I went through my setups and found a lot of fingernailed aces. Thankfully none have shown up in my new setups since then, so I think those folks are gone. Outside of that, we have one player whom I've caught ratholling twice. Next time, he's gone for good.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:28 PM

I played a tourney once where the blinds were tracked by a guy with a watch. He went out before the final table and left. We played at the same level for the next 45 minutes (levels were suppose to last 10 minutes) until the guy who owned the chips decided it was getting late and he wanted to get going home also (he'd already busted out too). Blinds really jumped then.

At this same tourney table consolidation / player movement was also a joke. We started with 18 at 3 tables. My table got down to 3 with the other tables at 5 and 6 and no consolidation or even player movement. We just stopped playing / soft played each other until the other tables caught up with us.

I guess if I have a host pet peeve it's that if your going to run a tournament, then run the tournament.

As for the players. Come on guys, if you can't get it in the bowl when you pee just do me a favor and sit the hell down.....lol
Old 08-25-2007, 01:54 AM

"Table Captain", what an apt word. A woman who was a psychologist at a men's prison did this all the time at a bar MTT. I figured it was because she was used to bossing men around. She could be pretty exasperating. She became even more so when we moved the bar tournament equivalent to her house. Especially when she got drunk.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:12 AM

I'm a host, so my gripes are with players really.

The biggest one is that no one shows up on time, or maybe a few do so I have to tell the punctual ones to come a little late, etc. But let's say I want to do something, I have to put it off because I can't start it because someone might show up. It's extremly annoying, and makes me want to not host the games. But I've tried that and the result is basically no poker games until I take it up again, and I need poker as much as anyone else.

Said players coming and leaving their drinks/food wrappings lying around my house.

When people complain about house rules. We allow players not in the blinds to do the live straddle, doubling the big blind, and re-straddles are allowed (rare). Had one player who would question it everytime it was done and say he'd prefer if it was not done. Sorry, but if you're new to a game, and everyone accepts it, and also isn't really that rare, get used to it.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The biggest one is that no one shows up on time,

[/ QUOTE ]

This one kills me. I am generally punctual, and call when I am not going to be there on time. Many times I end up sitting there with the host waiting for enough folks to show up so we can start.

If I did not consistently kill this game I would complain a lot louder
Old 08-26-2007, 11:57 AM

In my texts I say cards in the air at whatever time, and I start it on time. At first we played with only a few cause so many were late, but now everyone knows 7:30 means 7:30.

I forgot to say I hate the players who complain about a hand they threw away & then it hits.
"Oh man if I woulda stayed in with my 7-2os I woulda had a boat!" Makes me wanna killa a mofo.