Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Setting up/organizing a home cash game

Hi everyone. Basically i would like some advice about how to set up a cash game at my home. It would probably include me and 4 or 5 other friends playing probably 1p and 2p blinds, or maybe 2p and 4p. If my friend brings round his chip set, which includes 100 green, 100 red, 100 white, 100 blue, and 100 black chips, how could someone, say buying in for £2 (100BB), change that £2 for chip colours. And what denomination chip values would you all recommend. Maybe like a chip worth 1p, another chip worth 10p, etc. (for example).

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Setting up/organizing a home cash game

Play with cash?

At our game we made all denominations the same (50 cents in our case) which made all chips' colors irrelevant (much to the relief of our color-blind friend). This has simplified things considerably!

In your case I'd keep the blinds at 2p (both little and big blind) or maybe 2/4p and then have some 10p and 50p or 1-quid chips. Having both 1 and 2p chips is just going to get messy and confusing IMO.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Many of my friends, including I, prefer to handle chips rather than coins as they are bigger.

If we were to play with chips, would i just take the cash from my friends, and give them chips in return, and then cash them out at the end of the night?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:21 PM

What a horrible distribution of chip colors in your friend's set. Anyhow.

For 1/2 game you should use 1p, 5p 10p and 50p chips. I would start like this (10 players max):

White - 1p - 10
Red - 5p - 10
Blue - 10p - 4
Black - 50p - 2

2/4 would be awkward. 2/5 would probably be better with the same as above but the whites are 2p and add 5 more black and 5 more blue and take away two reds for £5 buyin.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Thanks for that. There isn't really a lot can be done about having 5 colours of 100 chips each, as the set he bought came in a silver case, so that was pre-determined. I have lesser quality chips than my friend, but the same, 100 x 5 colour chip set.

My friends prefer having "more chips" although i tell them they still have the exact same amount. So i would probably take 1 5p chip off and give them 5 more 1p chips, providing they are buying in for £2. Does this seem reasonable?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My friends prefer having "more chips" although i tell them they still have the exact same amount

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that having more chips, and specifically more of the smaller denom chips used for blinds, is a _good_ thing. For one of my home games I wish we only used a single denom. It seems that the calling stations and loose passive folks start to tighten up sooner than later if they are constantly needing to ask people to make them change in order to call the blinds. When they have a ready supply of calling chips, it is a lot easier to get them to call with anything
Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 PM

I hate playing in a game with more than 3 denominations of chips. I think those 5-color chipsets look nice in the store, but are not so useful in the cardroom.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friends prefer having "more chips" although i tell them they still have the exact same amount. So i would probably take 1 5p chip off and give them 5 more 1p chips, providing they are buying in for £2. Does this seem reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's quite reasonable. The only thing to be concerned about is the number of players. Handing out 15 of one color chip limits you to 6 players with a seventh player getting 10 chips. If that fits, wear it. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would i just take the cash from my friends, and give them chips in return, and then cash them out at the end of the night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is precisely what you would do.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate playing in a game with more than 3 denominations of chips. I think those 5-color chipsets look nice in the store, but are not so useful in the cardroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, 5 different kinds of chips is unnecesary. I think three kinds initially then introducing a fourth chip later when the stacks get big is the way to go.