Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Calling with crap because the price is right.

I'm trying to understand this concept but sometimes it's hard because the hands are so bad. I don't like to put my chips out there unless I'm sure they're coming back to me.

Are these easy calls? Also, is there any amount you can bet to get someone off a flush draw on the flop? I overbet the pot ... I put them all in, they still call. And hit.

Here are some examples:
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t2860)
BB (t2340)
UTG (t2060)
Button (t1740)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], 3[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]].
2 folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) J[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], 6[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]], 2[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (2 players)</font>
Hero bets t100</font>, BB calls t100.

Turn: (t400) 8[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100. (At this point I knew he had a Jack. I knew I was beat.)

River: (t600) 3[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets t100, Hero raises to t550, BB calls t450.

Final Pot: t1700

Results below:
Hero has 6c 3s (two pair, sixes and threes).
BB has Qc Js (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins t1700.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t4195)
UTG (t745)
Button (t3580)
SB (t480)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], 7[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]].
2 folds</font>, SB raises to t480 (All-In), Hero calls t280.

Flop: (t960) T[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], J[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], 3[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t960) 9[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t960) J[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: t960

Results below:
Hero has 5h 7h (flush, jack high).
SB has Kh Kd (two pair, kings and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins t960.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&g t;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t4085)
UTG (t3105)
Button (t1360)
SB (t450)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]], 6[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]].
1 fold, Button calls t150, SB raises to t450 (All-In), Hero calls t300, Button calls t300.

Flop: (t1350) Q[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]], K[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], A[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (3 players, 1 all-in)
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t1350) T[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (3 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t1350) 5[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (3 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: t1350

Results below:
SB has Qc Jd (straight, ace high).
Hero has 4d 6h (high card, ace).
Button has 7s 8s (high card, ace).
Outcome: SB wins t1350. </font>
Old 09-25-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Calling with crap because the price is right.

I would've folded pf in the first case, and in the third, I definitely would have due to the raise. The price wasn't right PF in the first hand, since you'd had folders, and even HU, you had a lousy hand. In the third case you weren't even getting 2-1 pf with two rags.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Here's your lesson today. It's good that you're here asking questions. Unfortunately, you're asking the wrong questions (and probably the wrong forum).

Hand 1: Raise or fold, do not complete. I'm 50/50 on either one.

Hand 2: I am assuming these are Sit-n-go's where the payout structure is like 50/30/20. There are advanced concepts here where folding could be considered correct to keep the bubble alive. Calling here is mathematically fine though. Under different payout structures, like MTTs, calling here is a must. As someone who's played maybe 20,000+ SNGs in my life, I would seriously consider folding under most table dynamics. (Again, you're asking the wrong questions).

Hand 3: Folding is better than calling here. If blinds were higher, like 100/200, I would move allin to isolate. Or, if stacksizes were different, or the seating was different, I might move allin here.

Assuming these are all SNGs (or STTs), you're posting in the wrong forum.
Post in the STT strategy forum
Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, is there any amount you can bet to get someone off a flush draw on the flop? I overbet the pot ... I put them all in, they still call. And hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't understand how profitable this is, then hit the books.

Let's assume this is a cash game hand:

Good example:
Your hand: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Pot: $10
Hero bets $100 (allin), Villain calls $100.

If he calls your allin, how profitable is this for you? This is your homework assignment for you today.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the third case you weren't even getting 2-1 pf with two rags.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably misunderstanding how to calculate the pot. Don't you include your call in the calculation so that the pot is:
150 BTN + 450 allin + 150 BB + 300 call = 1050?
300 to get 1050. And I was sure the BB would call, so 300 to get 1350.

Or is it just what's already in there = 300 to get 750.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, you're asking the wrong questions (and probably the wrong forum).

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the right questions?

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3: Folding is better than calling here. If blinds were higher, like 100/200, I would move allin to isolate. Or, if stacksizes were different, or the seating was different, I might move allin here.

Assuming these are all SNGs (or STTs), you're posting in the wrong forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are 6 people - the top two get paid.

I always factor into my decision the possible elimination of the all in. But I guess here we just gave him new life and a chance to win.

I posted here because I'm a beginner.

[ QUOTE ]
then hit the books.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. I plan to.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the right questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

what is a hand?
I wrote this a long time ago. There is so much missing from your post, that it's difficult to help you. Just the fact that it's a 6man SNG makes it difficult for us to help. Your decisions are different in tournament poker due to payout structures than cash games where hands are in isolation.

Take my comments in stride, they are meant to be constructive. If you are going to be making posts on 6man SNGs, go post them in the STT forum. The advice you will get from there, over this forum, will be better ...significantly better. STTs are a very unique game, and I doubt many STTers really post in this forum.

[ QUOTE ]
These are 6 people - the top two get paid.

I always factor into my decision the possible elimination of the all in. But I guess here we just gave him new life and a chance to win.

I posted here because I'm a beginner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 3: If this is a 6man with top 2 payout, then this is a very very easy fold. The bubble begins when it's down to 3, not 4.

Just because you're a beginner, does not mean you should not post in the STT forum. You should. STTs are a great place for beginning poker, and I suspect most new posters there are relatively new to poker.

Final comment. The variance in 6man SNGs is probably larger than the 9 or 10 man SNGs, and I would recommend mastering the 9 or 10 man SNGs first. I have very limited experience in 6man SNGs (maybe 30) and I have done no math on what is optimal play in those tourneys. Again, go post in the STT forum, I think you will be very happy. In fact, just link this post in there.

Good luck.