Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 AM

Default If you had $100-200, would you play NL or Limit?

Hi everyone,

I've been grinding away at 10Nl at FTP for the past few weeks. So far i'm barely breakeven for my last 10K hands. I know that 10K isn't exactly a big sample, but I would think at least I'd be doing a little better. There are a few things that I might think is wrong:

1) I could have some big leaks

2) 10NL has too many Tag's and decent players for my own good

3) I'm in some type of Downswing.

Now, to the subject above, I'm thinking about switching to limit, because a friend of mine recently said the higher games in Limit were easier then NL these days. Anyone have any opinions on this? Since i'm hoping to move up the ranks and grind out money in my spare time, I would want to try to move up where its most easiest and profitable before I try other areas of Poker.

What do you guys think?

P.S: Any other sites people recommend for microlimits / micronolimits? Someone recommended Cake Poker recently, any feedback on that?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: If you had $100-200, would you play NL or Limit?

Stick with 10nl, i've played 20k hands at stars on 10nl in the past fortnight, 10k of which were breakeven, but i still managed to run at 6ptbb. I've taken alot of the fancier stuff out of my game which could be killing my winrate of making it better but it sure takes away marginal situations...just play ABC poker for the meantime
Old 08-30-2007, 06:35 AM

i would give limit a shot. its a lot of fun. but i would plan on going back to NL pretty soon.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 AM

I play nl10 on ultimate bet and am progressing quite well. If you are a decent player just keep at it, or tighten up a little more and play as many tables as you can comfortabley.

I have to say over the last few months I've played a few 6 max limit games because it works out better for my ub points and releases my bonus quicker. But playing limit is very fustrating if you have only played NL. The most fustrating thing is having the nut straight or a nice 2 pair, and KNOWING someone is drawing to the flush, yet you cannot make a pot size bet on limit of course, and its guttening when they draw out! But thats limit of course it is a different game, just feels wrong somehow to me, so im back to nl10
Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 AM

Try limit for a while and see:

Where you find the competition easier,
Which one is actually more enjoyable to you,
Which seems easiest to play for you.

Then go away and decide, because people are likely to suggest whichever they find the best, and you have to find out for yourself.

About poker rooms; while grinding up from a low BR it's best to stick with one room until you have the BR to adequately bonus whore. You don't want to miss out on rooms where you could claim a huge deposit bonus because you only had $100 at the time.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 PM

There's no right answer to this.

You're holding your own in the current game. (1) If you can identify your leaks, you should improve. (2)If it's normal variance you should improve. (3) If you're not good enough to be a consistent winner, you probably won't improve without significant help, but this goes back to point (1), doesn't it.

On the other hand, I don't think that anyone would ever say it's a bad idea to try a different structure or a different game. Maybe you'll like limit better, have more fun, win more money, and you'll never know unless you try.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 PM

OP,

1) Probably true

2) Probably not true

3) Possibly true, but 1 is more likely

When it comes to limit or NL, play the game you prefer. At micro limits there are plenty of fish playing both games.

Study, be aware of position, don't get fancy. That's what gets you the money in the micros.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Stay with 10NL. You have some major leaks if you're still breaking even. Play tighter, don't spew chips on bluffs.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:57 PM

If you're running into too many TAGs in $10 NL, you have really, really got to start selecting tables better. At that level, you should be playing most hands at tables where 40% go to flop in the long run, over 50% at periods.

Check out when the seen flop % goes below 30 and find a different game.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:26 PM

I'm very confused. I posted a while back talking about my $40 br and people said I need to be playing 1 and 2 cent limit. If OP has a br of 200, 5 times that, how do we get to 10 NL? He'd have 20 big blinds. What am I missing?